• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Adobe acrobat reader from uploading my pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I just found out that Adobe Acrobat Reader has been uploading my pdf into their cloud without my consent?

How can I prevent this for happening?

and

How can I safely remove all the pdf that they have been storing on their cloud?

This is very concerning and I'm sure not many people is aware that this is happening

Thanks

Using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC version 2017 (fully updated)

MacOS High Sierra

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files now  bear a red Adobe icon, next to their title, when before they had a different symbol (using Word on a Mac) as most of my files have. When they were saved, I did NOT ask them to be saved via Adobe reader, but can only access them now by opening Adobe. If I want to get them translated out of  Adobe, a new page opens with a payment schedule. If I ‘join’ /pay, then I can have my privately saved files back into Microsoft word. That’ s pretty much hijacked. Stolen for ransom. Adobe did it. I clearly clicked save as pdf in my own system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, nothing was "hijacked" or "stolen". It's an easy fix. A quick google search for "mac change default application" yields multiple results on how to change it back, such as: https://www.imore.com/how-set-mac-app-default-when-opening-file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I got an notification in Acrobat DC, I now understand this is called an "IPM". It said it improved some UI things for me and I could deny that. I did not deny immediately and that was a mistake. Because now my usual "Attach this local File to an Email-Button" is now a "Make this file a shared file on the adobe cloud"-Function. I don't want this. I want to have local files and I want to send it via Mail-Client as before. I don't want to push data on Adobe Servers and I don't want to pay the bill for that cloud space, I've never asked for. There are a lot of different workflows and while I'm open for suggestions, I don't like to be shoehorned into this one. This sudden IPM-Change is not a useful way to learn about a new feature.

The Problem is, I can't figure out how to get back to the original state, because there is no switch. Tell me: Where can I get my beloved "Attach this local File to an Email"-Button back. Please help. 

Mac 10.15 Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and I found it: I rightclicked on the toolbar and "reset the toolbar".

The mailbutton is back, baby!

Again and for everyone who reads that: Please feel free to suggest changes of UI or workflow, but stop switching things around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under preferences, go to Security (enhanced) and uncheck the box labeled 'Enable Enhanced Security'.
This worked for me on Adobe Acrobat Pro with the same issue. Hope it helps. 
Other commenters are right in that it shouldn't be buried so deeply - just a simple "Use Adobe Cloud" button on the main page to check or uncheck would be much more useful. Seems like they're defaulting you to using their cloud services which would eventually get full and then you would have to pay for more storage. Underhanded business practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who in God's name gave Adobe the right to upload MY FILES to THEIR WEBSITE? And WITHOUT MY PERMISSION?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You uploads the files when you use the online services.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Red State Refugee,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry about the delay in response.

If you use the Acrobat application, the file does not automatically upload to cloud storage. As mentioned by Bernd Alheit, the files upload only when you use the Adobe online services. Or you upload the file manually.

Let us know if you need any help.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2023 Aug 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reply is absolute BS. I have NEVER used the online Acrobat program. Instead, the parameters necessary to prevent uploading to the Cloud are concealed within two independent programs (Outlook AND Adobe). I have no idea how the menu parameters on my PC were changed; the most probable explanation is that an Adobe "upgrade" surreptitiously altered my settings to make users more dependent on Adobe web services. That's a clever marketing strategy but wholly illegal.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S21 5G, an AT&T 5G smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is just what happened to me - I found my files had a new icon [adobe's
not microsoft] and I could no longer access them. To even open my own files
a fee had to be paid. Further it was very difficult to get *out *of that
system and delete it from my computer as if the company felt they had
rights - but I had not signed up for that underhanded blind 'sign-up'.
Lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a solution. Go to outlook and create a blank new message. Once you do that you'll see an Adobe box that says "attach file via link" click the dropdown and it will say attach file via link or settings. Click settings. If you uncheck the automatically send attachments box and click the box that says always prompt while attaching it disables Adobe from saving to the cloud. Also unchecked the two boxes just below under prompt while viewing emails. Then click OK. It will still ask you before you send it in the upper right corner if you want to (terribly annoying) but at least you don't have to upload to cloud before sending. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem. I just started paying for Adobe a few months ago and just now logged on to change my billing info and found a huge set of my docusments seems to be uploaded to the cloud when I absolutely did NOT choose to uplaod ANY of them. What the hell???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources