• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SharePoint - default open PDF option - can this be changed?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default "open" option for Acrobat PDF files in a SharePoint Online site?

For example when a user clicks on a PDF file by default it will "Open in Adobe Document Cloud" - now this is just fine except sometimes a user wants to print but there isn't a print option - yes they can do a right click and choose the browser print option but shows extra info, etc.

Another option is to simply choose the "Open in browser" option - which then gives a proper print option - yes an extra step but works just fine.

Nothing urgent but just curious if someone has found a way to change that default open option in SharePoint Online.

Thanks so much!

TOPICS
How to , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Hey Whammers,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query.

If I understand your query correctly, you are willing to open the pdf file through web browser rather than opening it from Adobe Reader which are saved on SharePoint?

The SharePoint account should have option to open the file either through Adobe Reader or in Web browser. But the default file opener is set during the set up of SharePoint account.

As we do not have expertise on SharePoint settings. So,I believe the Microsoft Support foru

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Whammers,

Sorry for the delay in response to your query.

If I understand your query correctly, you are willing to open the pdf file through web browser rather than opening it from Adobe Reader which are saved on SharePoint?

The SharePoint account should have option to open the file either through Adobe Reader or in Web browser. But the default file opener is set during the set up of SharePoint account.

As we do not have expertise on SharePoint settings. So,I believe the Microsoft Support forum will be the better place to raise this query.

In a mean while I can suggest you to refer to the MS help article here- Open behavior for browser-enabled documents in Office Web Apps | Microsoft Docs 

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find something about this? Because i'm with the same questions.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answere from Adobe is incorrect. Very unprofessional !
Question is about Adobe Document Cloud, NOT Adobe Reader.
Also Adobe is refering to an article about SharePoint 2013 instead of
SharePoint Online (Office 365).

So the following question remains unanswered by Adobe:
How to set the default opening of PDF files from SharePoint Online into
Adobe Document Cloud to optional ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any better suggestion??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you? Or did you just come here to make a comment that helps no one while vaguely defending Adobe's inaction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found an approach.

The following two techniques, when combined, accomplish automatic download and opening in the desktop app. Thus I can create a Link that forces the download, and adjust the Edge settings to force the PDF to open in my desktop Adobe Reader.

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2020/05/sharepoint-online-link-to-document-download-instead-of-open....

https://www.winability.com/how-to-stop-microsoft-edge-from-hijacking-pdf-files/ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2023 Oct 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also had to adjust my Windows default app for PDF files to my desktop Adobe Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to open it using the link to the file in sharepoint, but Adobe Reader reports an error and asks that the site be listed on "trusted sites". I cannot insert this site in the corresponding Windows list (due to lack of administrator privileges), but I saw that in Adobe Reader the user can list trusted sites. Despite that, it still doesn't work, but I believe it is a way to make PDF documents open in the desktop software. If anyone succeeds in this way (or any other), please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please start a new subject for this question.
This subject is reserved for Adobe Document Cloud, NOT Adobe Reader desktop software. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get the other reply at all. I am also using MS365 with Adobe integration. I also am trying to figure out how to manage digital signatures. I can open an interactive PDf in two ways. When I click on it directly it opens in Sharepoint (best I gather) and there is not interaction. Then in the menu I can choose to open in the browser, which uses the default PDF viewer...so I thought. I am not sure now. It opens and suddenly all the check boxes and the form come alive...all EXCEPT the digital signature fields which remain invisible. This is not true for other websites hosting external facing adobe pdf forms. I say I am not sure about the browser app that the pdf opens into because I can sill fold out a panel on the left that show other files in the sharepoint library. I would like to understand what it heppening with Adobe docs in Adobe apps that lack info now. I don't know what is displaying in what anymore. Downloading and creating another copy is contradicts security and data management...we can't not create stray copies of tightly controled documents in multiple places and in the multiple clouds plus on-prem and user PCs...that is a data security nightmare!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe is trying to make money on the sign functionallity, while Microsoft is trying to avoid integrating Adobe products too much (they prefer we try to solve it with Excel/Word/MS Forms, but it's difficult to compete with the pdf format and the flexile JavaScript solutions). I guess they (Adobe and Microsoft) are in war, even if they call themselves "Partners".
Too bad, since The JavaScript functionality for PDF forms is a perfect match to SharePoint. But in the long run they are loosing opportunities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources