• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat 7.0 and Windows 7: can it convert .doc to .pdf or not?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a licensed Acrobat 6.0 Professional, but recently had to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7.  I went through the whole folderol with Adobe, I downloaded their version 7.  It  appears to work fine for most or all file types to convert and/or assemble them into .pdfs except .DOC files, the only one I really need.  I'm totally confused by all the online discussion around this; some people saying it "won't work" at all on 64-bit, even though most of 7.0 seems to be working fine, to others giving all kinds of complicated instructions for how to get a PDF printer to show up among your printers (it doesn't now). 

So I have what I would think are simple questions: Can I make Acrobat Professional 7.0 convert .DOC files to .PDF files or not? (I'm using Word 2000 and Word 2003 because I cannot stand the later interfaces.) If it really can't be done, why didn't Adobe tell me this during all the conversations we had on the phone, or anywhere on line?  If it can be done, is there any reasonable way of making it happen?  If not, is there a simple free, offline program with a better interface than PDFCreator available?  Thanks in advance, Sharon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Printing to PDF?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe only support the current version, so expecting any help at all, let alone accurate technical info, on such an ancient version was optimistic. Acrobat 8, with some later updates, was the first version to offer a 64 bit PDF printer. But only the current version is sold. It's no longer compatible with ancient MS Office though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not like the current ribbon interface neither, but you really should try to get used to this.

Generally speaking Acrobat supports the version of Office that was current when that Acrobat version came out until the EOL of that Acrobat version.

Adobe support should have told you, that anything below Acrobat DC 2017 is EOL and no more supported.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, when they say "not supported," I thought they meant you can't call tech support and get a bunch of help using the program.  I didn't know it meant the same thing as "won't work no matter what you try to do."  Especially since, as I mentioned, almost all the program except converting .DOCs DOES seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When they say "not supported" they specifically mean they will not offer support. And also they mean it isn't test and won't be corrected for anything at all. Some unsupported software runs for years even on new systems. Some doesn't. Adobe don't know and don't care, because it's unsupported...

In the old Acrobat 7, converting DOC to PDF used an add on for Word, which did stuff and printed to the Adobe PDF printer. But you haven't got that. It won't fly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources