• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe ID to students under 13

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a schoolibrarian I wan't all of my students to be able to read e-books, but in order to download them in Digital edtions they need the create an Adobe ID. The only problem is that there's an agelimit. Most of the students are under 13 and not allowed to create an Adobe ID. Is there a way around this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

There are no legal issues for book reading but for creating an Adobe ID. By creating the Adobe ID you need to accept certain terms that under age children do not understand. PG is needed.

ninak68910344  wrote

We have 1800 students connected to our 8 schoollibraries, to reach every parent to these 1800 students and get them to create an Adobe ID for their Child is impossible. Wich means that some Children would get access and others not. If they could create an Adobe ID for themselfs they would hav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ninak,

As per the Adobe terms, the student is required to be at least 13 years old to get an Adobe ID. For more information, you may refer to the following KB docs Adobe & Student Privacy  Link: http://www.adobe.com/privacy/student-policy.html

Adobe Creative Cloud Education FAQ Link: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/education-faq.html

Hope this helps, and let us know if you need any assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then there is no way the students under 13 can download e-books to digital edtions? Why this limitation? All e-books are not available to read online, so some of the librarie's e-books won't be accessible to them because of this. It also requires them to be connected to the internet every time they wan't to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ninak68910344  wrote

Why this limitation?

There are probably legal issues. There should be no problem for parents creating an Adobe id for their children.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But legal issues that prevent Children from Reading e-books? I can't se why.

We have 1800 students connected to our 8 schoollibraries, to reach every parent to these 1800 students and get them to create an Adobe ID for their Child is impossible. Wich means that some Children would get access and others not. If they could create an Adobe ID for themselfs they would have equal access, and that is one of the aims for a schoollibrary: That alla students have equal access to the information provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no legal issues for book reading but for creating an Adobe ID. By creating the Adobe ID you need to accept certain terms that under age children do not understand. PG is needed.

ninak68910344  wrote

We have 1800 students connected to our 8 schoollibraries, to reach every parent to these 1800 students and get them to create an Adobe ID for their Child is impossible. Wich means that some Children would get access and others not. If they could create an Adobe ID for themselfs they would have equal access, and that is one of the aims for a schoollibrary: That alla students have equal access to the information provided.

I do see no problem in reaching every parent of these 1800 students. If there are problems, the problems will exclude the children from a lot of activities and for sure. As a parent I had access to all of my children accounts up to a certain age.

I've looked at the student privacy policy and it is clearly stated there, that you can provide service to children under the age of 13 as I suspected, with parental consent.

Can our school use Adobe products and services and comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)?

Yes, but the method for doing so varies depending on the product or service. Adobe does not allow children under 13 to directly register for an individual Adobe ID and so products and services that use individual Adobe ID only cannot be used by a student under 13. Apps and services like these must be used under the supervision of a parent or a teacher using that parent or teacher’s Adobe ID.

We are currently piloting an enterprise level K-12 named student license program that will allow schools to deploy enterprise-level Adobe IDs to students regardless of their age. Under its contractual agreement with Adobe, a school must first obtain the verified parental consent required by COPPA before registering a student under the age of 13. K-12 schools also are contractually obligated to register students under 13 using only enterprise or federated Adobe IDs. If the school obtains the required parental consent and deploys as directed, the resulting use will be COPPA-compliant.

For me this is clear. COPPA does not allow Adobe to allow children under 13 to register individually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that information made it clear although I still can't see a solution for us. We have tried to reach out to all of these parents just in order to get their concent to a libraryaccount for their child, and wise from that experience I know that not all parents are involved in their children like you are. (Maybe I formulated it a bit wrong, of course we can reach all parents, but not all parents will respond and help their Child by creating an Adobe ID.)

But I understand that there is no way around this, and that we need to accept that we can't give them full access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let face it: How are those kids able to access the internet or even a computer, if there is no parental guidance? If they get a computer of their own, they will get an Adobe ID with their parents consent. If not, they need anyhow to access the computer from inside the library. There the children are under your supervision. They could use a library Adobe ID.

How this may be put at work is, however, an other problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources