• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converted PDF to Word but cannot edit (copy) some parts of converted Word doc?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted PDF to Word and whilst I can access and edit certain parts of the document, others are shown as "pictures" and therefore non-editable.

Any ideas? If this does not work then I need to cancel my subscription!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Hello Corriep,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, you are not able to edit certain parts of the document when you convert a PDF file to Word, Is that correct?

• If the PDF file was created from a scanned document, make sure that OCR (Optical Character Recognition) was enabled when you converted the PDF file. OCR is enabled by default when you convert your files via the Export PDF services. However, that may not be the case for other mechanisms of creating PDFs.
  • P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Corriep,

We apologize for the inconvenience caused, as per the description above, you are not able to edit certain parts of the document when you convert a PDF file to Word, Is that correct?

• If the PDF file was created from a scanned document, make sure that OCR (Optical Character Recognition) was enabled when you converted the PDF file. OCR is enabled by default when you convert your files via the Export PDF services. However, that may not be the case for other mechanisms of creating PDFs.
  • Place your cursor in the middle of the text block that you want to edit and then double-click to select a word in the text. Triple-click to select a paragraph.

You may also refer to Can't edit converted Word or Excel file

Try exporting the PDF file through the URL https://cloud.acrobat.com/exportpdf with your Adobe ID and password on a browser like Chrome, or Firefox, or Safari and see if this brings any difference.

Have you tried exporting any other PDF file? Is it specific to one PDF or with all the PDF files?

If it is specific to one PDF, is it possible to share the PDF file with us so that we can try it at our end?

To share the file, please use Adobe Send feature, upload the file, share the link to files via private message only, How Do I Send Private Message

Let us know how it goes and share your findings.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: adding headers/footers prevented PDF to Word conversion in an editable format.  I deleted the headers/footers and * BAM* the conversion worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been occurring for years.  Yet, Adobe cannot give me a straight answer.  I see that it cannot give anyone a straight answer.  It blames the pdf document as opposed to its inferior software. I can upload a pdf on Westlaw drafting assistant and all text can be edited.  Yet, when I upload a pdf to Adobe Dc, all text that is converted to Microsoft word cannot be edited. It's in picture format.  Really horrible and incompetent customer service.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  My document is in picture format, and I cannot edit anything.  I used the Abobe convert software to convert from pdf to Word format.  I do not how the pdf (the convert FROM) file was created.  Apparently this Adobe convert-to-Word file is not going to work for me.  I've at least two documents that I'd hoped to convert but at this point, I might as well type them in from scratch.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2023 Oct 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just subscribed to Adobe Pro. I converted a pdf file to Word. All ok. But then each para of the Word doc is separated in its own dialogue box and which I cannot remove. Please help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources