• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I update or change a PDF in the Document Cloud without having to create a new Shared Link?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I update or change a PDF in the Document Cloud without having to create a new Shared Link?  I have an existing document in the Adobe Document Cloud.  The shared link has been sent to many users.  Can I edit the document so the end users see the changes without having to send a new link, if so how is this done?  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mosley wh29681322,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you want to update/change a pdf in document cloud without creating a new shared link for the pdf, is that correct?

You may try sharing file with "review file" option and check if that works for you. 

Refer to the following help document which explains more:

Share and track PDFs online using Adobe Document Cloud

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately review wont work because I do not want to have end users access to change the document.   I just need to make corrections to the document without changing the link they were originally sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mosley wh,

As far as I know, an option to make changes (annotation) on the pdf for you or for the recipient is only available when you share a file using "review file" option. If sent using "view file" option, you also wouldn't be able to add annotations on the pdf.

-shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately review wont work because I do not want to have end users access to change the document.   I just need to make corrections to the document without changing the link they were originally sent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still have the same issue. Is there a solution?

I shared a PDF file with many people who can edit. Now I want to update that PDF but keep the same link. Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

I have a license, I shared a document via Adobe Document Cloud using Acrobat for Windows, I see comments fed back but when I make changes to the contents of the forms and click DONE it closes the file with no warning of unsaved changes. When I reopen the shared file, it shows new comments but my changes are gone. 

Is the sender not able to make any changes to the contents of a shared file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also need a solution to this issue - I'm looking to replace an already-shared document from Document Cloud with an updated version while maintaining the same link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

Thank you for reaching out.

As I understand, you are trying to replace the shared document with the updated version and needs that the link created should remain the same. Sorry to inform you that it is not possible. 

These links are created randomly while sharing the PDF. You can unshare the file and share a new link to the updated PDF.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like that feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this feature something that is likely to happen? I am also in the same situation with a document going out to thousands, but wishing for it to be a 'live-working' document that can be auto-updated, without having to share a new link/document each time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation also.  Ideally, when you share a document with a bunch of people, there would be a way to edit the document and keep the same link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I want to be able to send a revised proof with the same link as the original. And I want all the comments to stay in the document. That way, when reviewers are checking to make sure their changes have been implemented, they have the old comment list right there. Instead of having to have 2 documents open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want this feature as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2024 Mar 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

me too !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is highly desired. Please tell developers to prioritize this. Many of our other platforms offer this but nothig compares to Adobe for development so just add this 🙂 .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all the other comments, having the ability to update the original doccument without creating a new link and loosing all the edit history would be incredible beneficial. Adobe, please add this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too would like this feature. I have a form that I am sharing with hundreds of users and have sent those people the URL. But, as time goes on, there are a few changes I'd like to make to the form WITHOUT having to send a new link to the hundred people. As a side note, we publish this link in a document that is shared with many so it cannot be changed once it is documented. 

Please consider adding functionality to this SHARE DOCUMENT concept. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. And Adobe when you have limitations, like not being able to update a link, you should tell users clearly. Not leave us to scramble around for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I have a large report created in InDesign that I have to Export every time I make an edit. After I export it I need to combine it with two other PDF files created in Illustrator and Exported to PDF. Then I need to upload the PDF again and  all the comments stay in the old version. For designers sharing docs with those who don't have or need Cloud licenses it is exhausting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got on this for the OP's thread, but your comment had me wondering why you'd need to combine the InDesign export with Illustrator exports? You should be able to place the Illustrator file in the InDesign document and save a lot of time. InDesign can handle multiple page sizes as well as specifying Illustrator artboards in the place process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, they should have a file revision option or something. So you can see the old version with the old comments, then create a new version of the same file for additional review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, the feature of sending a pdf on document cloud is a great idea, but need to send a new link for updated pdf  to clients is just too much work, how we can actually not just replace the pdf without making a new link and keep the comments there 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, as you can see, this would be a great feature in the product. Please implement it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also like this feature. I love the review feature built into the share menu with InDesign. I want to have this same ability when creating illustrator files. If I share the document directly from illustrator, it does not always display the images and fonts without first being embedded. My workaround is exporting to PDF and then sharing that PDF link to gather comments for the review process. Once I make those changes, I have to create another PDF and link. This defeats the purpose of trying to seamlessly share documents and track revisions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources