• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have the prepaid converter. My password protected bank statements can not be converted to Excel. How do i remove the password security?

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the prepaid converter. My password protected bank statements can not be converted to Excel. How do i remove the password security?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Banks seem to do this SO YOU CANNOT export, by design. You should complain to the bank.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd need Acrobat to do that, and to know what the password is, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Acrobat prepaid converter. I opened the files with my password. But then Acrobat tells me - "Remove the protection" But when i follow the steps - there is NO ACTION button to remove the protection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Banks seem to do this SO YOU CANNOT export, by design. You should complain to the bank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did complain to the bank. They said: "We can not help you. Ask Acrobat!!!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussions about how to remove document protection applied by a third party are not permitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - so what do i do now? I need my statements in Excel format - but can not convert it! What do i do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we say, we can't help you either. Bank help desks don't understand this technical stuff. But it's SURE that the bank would not tell you the password even though it's your own information. They don't even know it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

AFTER the protected PDF statement is opened - by me with my password - Adobe tells me: this file cannot be converted because it is password protected.

I really don't understand - the file is OPEN - then it can not be converted!

How do i remove the security setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you don't know the password, you can't do it. Banks usually offer easier ways of getting your information, though.

There's usually an option to download the data as an Excel file or a CSV file. Extracting it from a PDF file isn't a very good option in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

The option to download the Excel format directly from the online banking is only available for 1month's information. I want to convert archive statements and those statements sent via email.

The PDF file (statement) is OPEN in my Acrobat reader - THEN i want to export it to excel. But Acrobat says NO!!!

I really dont understand!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's not to understand? The security policy allows you to view the information, but not extract it from the file. That's what the bank decided to do, and Adobe's applications respect that.

As mentioned, there are ways around it, like taking a screenshot or re-typing the information. It's up to you whether or not its worth your type following them, but we can't help you further with this matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I did not know Adobe agreed with the bank's decision to make files 'unconvertable'.

Copy-paste does not work. Retyping is the only way.

Thank you for your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They "agree with the bank's decision" in the same way that a lock manufacturer's "agrees" not to open a safe box if you don't have a key for it. That's the entire point of the security policy. Now, that's not to say there aren't lock-pickers out there that could open it, but you won't expect the maker of the lock to open it just because you asked them to, would you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. You say that you use a password to open the file. The thing is that a PDF file can have two passwords applied to it: one to open it and one to edit it. If the bank has given you a password to open the file with it doesn't mean you can use that password to also edit it (content extraction falls under editing, for the purposes of this discussion), as those passwords are probably different, unless they royally screwed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just learned something else from you! Thank you!!

I did not know there are two possible passwords! it makes sense though.

I suppose the bank will not give me the second password!

I paid for the Adobe converter service - not knowing that i will not be able to use it. Is there anyway that i can get my money back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Re the second password, no, it's highly unlikely they'll give it to you.

Re your subscription, you can cancel it using this link: Cancel your membership or subscription | Adobe Acrobat, Document Cloud PDF services

If you're entitled to a refund I believe you'll get it. If you don't you'll need to contact Adobe Customer Care for help with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to complain to the bank. The staff can't help you but they can pass on your complaint to the planners. The bank have stopped this from working for you. Perhaps they have a premium service to sell?

Maybe you could use copy/paste as the start, if they allow that, or retype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bank just says: this is the way it is!!! Info only available in excel format for 1 month.

And about the converting: they say it is the problem of the external converter -not their problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then that is how things are. I made two suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources