• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video embedded in PDF won't play when PDF posted to web page.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've inserted a short clip (9MB H.264 mp4 720p 24fps mono) into a large PDF (30.8MB, 340pgs).

In Acrobat Pro the video plays when clicked, and all controls work.

I shared it with a colleague for whom the controls worked.

But when I uploaded it to a WordPress website, the PDF displays and scrolls beautifully, the video poster image displays, but the video doesn't play when clicked.

I wondered if the poster image was somehow blocking the 'mouseup' command when clicking on the video window, so I tried a workaround: I used the Button tool to create triggers for play, pause, mute, rewind, which I placed below the video window. Nada.

In doing some research I read a few comments suggesting that when a PDF with an embedded video is displayed online,  the link to the video content is not kept intact — even when the original raw PDF had the video embedded.

Does this mean I need to have some kind of Adobe Cloud service to store + link + activate my PDF video?

Please tell me I don't need to spend yet MORE money on Adobe to make the tools I'm already paying for work!

SYSTEM:

MacBook Pro 2018

OSX Mojave 10.14.6

Acrobat Pro DC v2020.006.20042

Gratefully,

Luke

TOPICS
Create PDF , Export PDF , How to , Share PDF , View PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expected. Most PDF viewers will not do multimedia. Many won’t do JavaScript. Some won’t do forms at all. If you must make multimedia ODF you must tell your users to download the files, and use Adobe software. Also won’t work on mobile. No Adobe cloud service can make these broken PDF viewers work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so grateful for the clear, concise and confident answer

kudos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources