• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Adobe Sign Compliant with California G.C. ?

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I work for a government agency and we are hoping to add e-signatures as an option to our policy handbook. In California Government Code's General Provisions Number 16.5, there is permission for an agency to use an e-signature if:

(1) It is unique to the person using it.

(2) It is capable of verification.

(3) It is under the sole control of the person using it.

(4) It is linked to data in such a manner that if the data are changed, the digital signature is invalidated.

(5) It conforms to regulations adopted by the Secretary of State. Initial regulations shall be adopted no later than January 1, 1997. In developing these regulations, the secretary shall seek the advice of public and private entities, including, but not limited to, the Department of Information Technology, the California Environmental Protection Agency, and the Department of General Services. Before the secretary adopts the regulations, he or she shall hold at least one public hearing to receive comments.

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not Adobe Sign was compliant with #s 1-4, or how I would find that information out? #5 seems a bit more complicated

I have a separate section that says that "Acceptable technologies and eSignature providers shall be consistent with current state legal requirements and industry best practices to ensure the security and integrity of the data and the signature. The eSignature providers shall be on the Approved List of Digital Signature Certification Authorities certified by the California Secretary of State. 

I don't see Adobe on this list, is there a reason for that? Does that mean that my agency is precluded from using Adobe Sign as an acceptable eSignature provider?

TOPICS
Product information

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?