I have followed and worked with Shapes since the app (iPhone/iPad) came out, and have worked with it avidly since, almost non stop, averaging a good 2, 3 dozen images a week. The version progression the app took was excellent and it made all the sense. I was so happy to see it evolve to become what it was all the way to 2.8? It was fantastic! Everything went south with 3.0.1. TERRIBLE, the word does not express how bad things turned out. I need to go back, actually I take the risk to speak for all users that actually worked with the app using all its previous capabilities, and say "the world needs to go back to the previous version" or re-develop it to include everything it had.
It almost feels that whoever redesigned it had no interest in "sustaining" the creative flow that derives from it, or hated "shapes", or maybe never even used it, or maybe Adobe wants to phase it out, not sure; it isn't I want to offend anyone, but what happened?
This is not a rant, but things evolve for the better, and I guess when redesigning, consultations are made with those that have used the product and understand why certain features are there, it's like the project was given to someone new that didn't understand the features that were taken out with 3.0.1.
Let me explain myself and mention some of the features that are now missing and were ESSENTIAL to working with app (pretty useless now, I must say. My work has come to a HALT, with a queue of several weeks of work pending, because of unnecessary decisions.
- the ability and button to switch image to negative is now gone, cannot work with reverse black background images Anymore.
- the ability and button to clean images is gone, unable to remove clutter and clean backkgounds excessive "dust" is gone.
- the ability to "select" and "deselect" is gone, forcing the user into extreme, awful and sometimes unachieavable proper selection of usable vectors.
The great flow and effiency of the product is gone, it truly needs to come back, the redesigning team needs to work with people that have used the app to its full potential before a new version is rolled out. At this point might as well delete the "shapes" from capture, it's totally unusable, what is the reason to get the users used to fantastic features if in newer versions they didn't even change for the better.
Look at things that could have been implemented, for example, resizing pen, both for erasing and to close shapes for "fills" or "select";
maybe even implementing colors, but to do what has been done to it is pretty destructive and negative.
Please give me hope I can use the app again and that something could be done about it. Think about it this way: "if its not broken, don' fix it" !!
Copy link to clipboard
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post (I've acutally already shared all of your comments with the Capture team). I'm really sorry you're not happy with the Capture update.
Although I realize that they may not change how you feel about the update, there are a few things I did want to let you know just to be sure that you're aware of them:
* To work with negative shapes… Once you're viewing what you want to capture, just tap the screen to invert your shape (light against a dark background or dark against a light background).
* Auto Clean (and sizing for the brush) is planned for a December update to Capture.
* You can zoom in with a two-finger expand gesture (to make it easier to remove small details) and long press to remove an entire enclosed region (although it's not an exact replacement the long press is intended to replace the one-click exclude function).
Finally, we did/do have a beta testing group that was able to use/test this current version of the app for a few months prior to us releasing it (if you'd like to be a part of that group please direct message me here; I'd be super happy to speak with you about it).
I hope that helps a bit. And, thank you again for taking the time to post.