• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vector Patterns don't appear to be vector

Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2018 Oct 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create vector patterns with Capture. I've tried on my iPhone and my iPad. The pattern is created as an svg and saved to my Creative Cloud Library, but when I view it in Illustrator, it is not vector. Any ideas why? I have tried this with two different libraries and I got the same result.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Theresa.

Yes, I saw that alert when I was saving. Your art is saving with the title "Vector SVG" in the app, right?

I just heard back from the product manager. She said this

The vector save allows you to save a vector pattern, however because it was generated from a raster image it will capture the shape of the pixels from the original, which will show the more you size it up.

She also said that she plans on tackling this in future releases by adding some smoothing to the vector. (I also passed alon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa.

Patterns aren't vector; they're bitmap. I don't think, at this point, that they're super useful in Illustrator; they work much better in Photoshop.

Is there something that you're wanting/trying to do with them that won't work in Photoshop?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue,

Why does it give an option for vector if it isn't really vector? Here's a screen capture from my phone. They could be really useful in Illustrator if they were actually vector patterns, and editable inside of Illustrator.

IMG_7815.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theresa.

I'll double-check on this for you but I'm fairly certain it's never been vector art.

i'll post as soon as I hear back from the Capture team.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sue. If they say it has never been vector, then I would recommend renaming those options to Ps and Ai, not bitmap and vector as it is currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theresa.

I've been messing around with this a bit (apparently things have changed since I last looked carefully at this) and you're right, there is an option to save the art as vector art. But, despite saving it that way, it doesn't seem to be infinitely scalable in Ai the way that vector art usually is. Is that what you're referring to?

I'm still waiting for a response from the product manager.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It's definitely bitmap, not vector. In fact it would give you a message that it might take awhile to create the vector art. The weird thing is that I thought I remember trying it when the feature first came out, and I was sure it created a vector pattern. But now when I go back and look at the patterns I created then, they also show up as bitmap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Theresa.

Yes, I saw that alert when I was saving. Your art is saving with the title "Vector SVG" in the app, right?

I just heard back from the product manager. She said this

The vector save allows you to save a vector pattern, however because it was generated from a raster image it will capture the shape of the pixels from the original, which will show the more you size it up.

She also said that she plans on tackling this in future releases by adding some smoothing to the vector. (I also passed along your suggestion about the naming structure.)

Sorry for the confusion. And sorry for not knowing that there were two ways to save.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I’m really surprised at that. Seems less than useful. And here I was thinking it should do an “image trace” and use the results as the basis of the vector pattern. Oh well, dream on!

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael.

That would be pretty cool actually; I wonder, though, how long that would take to render?

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, theoretically it would only need to image trace the original source tile, not the entire image. So it shouldn’t take long at all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines