Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color variance between creative cloud and Adobe Color

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I have a problem: When I find a color on the Adobe Color Website and I write down the CMYK-Code and use it in e.g. Illustrator, then the colors vary greatly (on the same Monitor!). 
When I make a snapshot from Illustrator and open it with my browser, it looks exaktly like in Illustrator. Therefore I think the problem lies not with the browser (and I tried with google chrome and iexplorer 7), and on smartphone it also looks quite similar to Illustrator. And even when I try Adobe color on my smartphone, it's still the same as on Adobe Color.

Has anybody an explanation / a solution?

(I think, that the illustrator color is correct, as they correlate with other (non-adobe) programs.)

I hope you understand my problem. I also attach a foto from the color difference:
both CMYK 75,100,0,0;

the violet is from illustrator, the blue from adobe color

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot!

Greets, Michaela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, I wrote wrong: I think the Illustrator is wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Color is just wrong. There is no CMYK profile shown, it is astonishing Adobe would allow such a poor service.

CMYK colours can only be judged on paper under final print conditions, or in a color managed app like Illustrator. NEVER open or display CMYK files in a browser, or on a phone. Or any other non colour managed app - 99% will get it wrong, and leave you with a bad impression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhhh, thats a pity 😞

Thank you very much for your help! 

I guess I have to invest in a pantone color-guide and a calibrated monitor 😞

Greets, Michaela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pantone colour guides are great except for one thing: they include CMYK numbers. You should ignore this, just as you should ignore the values from Adobe Color. It is vital to forget the idea that any set of CMYK number is "standard".

Pantone deleted the CMYK numbers from their guides a few years back, which was the right thing to do. But their customers demanded they put it back because they had built worlds on this bad info, and didn't want to learn how to do it right... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, thats interesting. But I can't work without CMYK, as most of the printing companies want the data in CMYK.

May I ask how you work instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we work with CMYK. But we don't go from the idea that we can write down a C,M,Y,K number and know what it means. Working with colour managed software is the starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any good printer these days takes RGB.  I have taken AdobeRGB images (and sRGB if I have to) since the late '90s and converted them to the proper CMYK on the fly.  Most people that provide CMYK to a printer just mode change it in PS to SWOP in North America, because that's the default that Adobe provides, but it's substandard for anything but web printing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mhm ... I just graduated from grafik-school last year, and the always told us to NEVER use RGB for Printing. But I guess it's just like everywhere else: Theory and practice aren't always the same ;-).

Thanks for your answer! I actually haven't tried it with RGB yet, but I will 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most workflows at modern printing companies these days are what's called "Late Binding" which means files are converted to CMYK from tagged RGB right before the press.   OOf course there are still printing companies that don't manage their coolor well and take any CMYK instead of the correct type for their printing process.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CMYK values in Adobe Coolor are not based on any profile, or standard space and are worthless for use.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to color manage Adobe Color Themes set the theme’s editing color space to Lab at color.adobe.com and the color appearance will match when the theme is viewed in a CC app:

Screen Shot 9.png 

Then you can make a color managed conversion from Lab to CMYK in a CC app maintaining the color appearance and getting the correct color values for the document’s assigned CMYK profile. Here I’ve added my Lab theme to InDesign’s Swatches panel where I can make the color managed conversions via Swatch Options:

Screen Shot 10.png

You can choose where to make the conversion—the Lab swatch can be directly converted, the conversion can happen on export by setting the Export>Output>Destination profile, or, if you trust your printer’s color management capabilities, it can happen in the RIP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add to the above.  If using Lab color use 16 bit Lab to convert from not 8bit.  Then there will be fewer artifacts and color shifting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob, I think the Lab values coming from color.adobe.com would have to be 8-bit—there’s no CSS or HTML color property for increasing or setting bit-depth for an HTML page’s color. There’s also no option for converting native InDesign or Illustrator swatches to 16-bit—I guess you could bring the AdobeColor Lab value into Photoshop and upsample to 16-bit before making the conversion, but there wouldn’t be artifacts created when converting a single color value.

The Intent and Black Point Compensation you choose for the conversion would affect color shifting—Relative Colorimetric typically does the best job in maintaining color appearance. For native color or swatch conversions InDesign and Illustrator use the current Color Settings’ Intent and BPC for a conversion via Swatch Options or the Color panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines