• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What colour space the CMYK values are given for?

New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it is said on varioues times on this forum, CMYK values are meaningless without the colour space attached to them. In which case my question will be to what colour space COLOR website is giving the CMYK values?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CMYK Values are not from any standard color space.  If you need CMYK for any specific CMYK color space, just impot the Lab values into Photoshop and select the CMYK profile in your color settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is, the colours are displayed on the screen. Am I seeing them on a sRGB display, or AdobeRGB one, what are the CMYK values are given for coated, uncoated, metalic...how would I know? CMYK values without the colour profile is as meaningless as random numbers!

To test this I created a color palette, brought in one of the colours to Ilustrator and Photoshop. The CC colour spaces are synced to "Europe / Internet 2". You can see that both the CMYK vales and the Pantone swatches are considerably off between the COLOR webapp and the CC apps.

ApplicationModeWebEGBCMYKPantone
Adobe Color 304b614875975123062P 108-15 C
PhotoshopRGB304b61487597    P 174-15 C
 CMYK    84604032P 174-15 C
IllustratorRGB304b61487597     
 CMYK    84604032 

Can you see the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The CMYK Values are not from any standard color space." So you mean they are a useless and deceptive waste of time? Why would Adobe, one of the most active and experienced practitioners of color management, do such a thing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why indeed? How a a company like Adobe displays a colour value, allows me to adjust it, monitoring on a screen that they have no idea if it is sRGB or AdobeRGB.

You are titled "The Most Valueable Participant", maybe you can teach me how that is possible? Why is that bright green I have on my Monitor looks different on everyone elses and on print?

A colour value without a colour space is meaningless. If you don't know that, or think Adobe doesn't either, you have a steep peak to climb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines