Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acumin variable – Smaller file size

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I love the new Acumin variable font, but the entire file size is enormous for a web font (624kb). Is there a way of making it smaller, such as removing some axis?

I know that I could use a static font like Acumin Pro, but it's quite different from the Acumin variable. In fact, it looks way worse on screens. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Matic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MaticBroz,

Welcome to the community. Unfortunately, it's not possible to remove an axis at this time, but we'll share your feedback with the Adobe Fonts team.

You may also raise your request here: https://adobefonts.uservoice.com/forums/940222-adobe-fonts-feature-requests-and-feedback

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, thank you.

Is there a way of getting just two weights of this font? I know that's what Acumin Pro is for, but it just doesn't look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the only way to use individual styles of Acumin is to use Acumin Pro instead of Acumin Variable. Also, is it possible to share screenshots of the differences you see? We can share that with the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably just due to the rendering of the non-variable fonts when in small sizes (e.g., 16 px). A very nice solution would be to have Acumin Variable in just one axis (weight). Some other examples, like Inter (variable), are only around 20KB, making them perfect for web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just saying all this because I think it's a great font with nice potential but is being held back by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a GIF from my WordPress editor. Both fonts are properly loaded with the stylesheet in the header and called through CSS. I enabled Acumin Variable and Acumin Pro wgth 400, 500, and 700 in Adobe Fonts.

chrome_gP0Ivhz7Hm.gif

Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines