• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe fonts no longer available/removed - this is a huge problem

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else gone to a file to update it for a consecutive version or build of another piece of collateral only to find that your fonts no longer exist? This is super problematic. No clients, high end international to local small businesses, should have to worry that their brand may need to be redeveloped spontaneously because a font just disappears from existence. It seems very unprofessional. I guess one way to deal with the issue is to not use Adobe fonts anymore. What a shame. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you used a font developed by the Adobe font foundry, it will still be there.

Your issue is likely related to a number of font foundries that pulled their fonts from Adobe back in May 2020. This is not something that Adobe can control. Adobe did not own the fonts; they had contracts with the font foundries to allow Adobe subscribers access to those fonts so long as the foundries chose to offer them through Adobe. 

Your choices are to use a similar font that is offered through Adobe fonts or to find the owning foundry and license the font directly from them. The foundaries that pulled their fonts in May were Font Bureau and Carter & Cone. I hope that information helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. That is somewhat similar to what the rep told me yesterday in chat help, though not exactly the same (the rep pointed me to http://www.fontfoundry.com/ which didn't seem right, though they reconfirmed it was correct when I asked). For cases in which the client needs the font to stay the same, I will need to eat the cost of buying the fonts directly from the foundry. I can't ask the client to spring for that. Or, if I replace with a similar font, I will eat the time it takes to reflow a 60+ page piece, plus ask my team to get involved by proofreading the reflow. This affects the whole agency. My question now is...will it happen again? Should we avoid any fonts by subcontracted foundries? Fonts are integral to design work, so this is proving to be a very tough blow no matter the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding (and @Dov Isaacs will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong) is that the only fonts you are guaranteed to have permanent access to through Adobe Fonts are the ones made by Adobe. Adobe obviously makes every effort they can to retain fonts supplied by outside foundries, but, ultimately, it's not up to them.

If you're concerned about availability of non-Adobe fonts, then yes, you'll want to license them directly from the owning foundries.

I'm sorry I can't make any suggestions about your current predicament, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your understanding is correct. No reason to correct you at all!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dov Isaacs is there a way to filter out all foundries, then, and only see Adobe fonts on https://fonts.adobe.com/ that would be permanently-available? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://fonts.adobe.com/foundries/adobe

Or on the fonts.adobe.com page, click Foundaries, wait for the Featured foundries page to display, then click Adobe Originals.

LinSims_0-1605903492469.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into a similar problem. I used Bernina Sans in two projects that I am updating, but apparently now in Adobe Fonts, it's been renamed to JAF Bernini Sans - Bernini and Bernina have been grouped into the same family with a different name. The family is active in my Fonts, but in AI, the font is still showing as Bernina Sans with an asterisk and JAF Bernini Sans - despite being active - isn't showing up in my fonts menu. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines