• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Garamond with Expert and Old Style Figures font styles

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Decades ago I licensed/purchased Adobe's Garamond (Roger Slimbach) postscript fonts of regular, semibold, bold and their italics. In addition, I licensed/purchased the corresponding 'Expert' fonts which included small caps and oldstyle figures. Now that Adobe will no longer be supporting postscript fonts I am looking to fully replace the above mentioned with OpenType fonts. While the regular, semibold, bold and their italics are readily available, no where can I find the Expert fonts. Have they been discontinued? Are they embedded in the six basic fonts? Or . . .???

<Title renamed by moderator>

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karin229875480514,

Thank you for reaching out and sorry for the delay in response. Yes the features that were part of the "Expert" fonts are now included in the OpenType version available in our library.

Hope it answers your question.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And when you say the 'expert' font is available, you mean we have to select an alternative glyph for each and every character? RIGHT? We can't just select the entire section of text and assign it the expert font. Correct? Because, that is a real pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When mean 'Expert' I am looking for fonts specifically cut/designed as such. When I require 'SMALL CAPS' I want those fonts specifically drawn for that purpose and not taking capitals and sizing then to a smaller font size. For 'Old Style Figures' the numerals should not all base align. The 3, 4, 5, 7 and 9 extend below the baseline. Alternate regular and alernate italic were fonts also included. See attachment (if I can successfully upload).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Tilting capitals? Regular and Italic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2023 Apr 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I get Adobe Garamond with Expert and Old Style Figures font styles in the OpenType version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe. I know this is showing my age, but Adobe is giving me major Late Stage Quark Express vibes at the moment. Crazy money grabbing behaviour due to massive manopoly. Aaaand.. it didn't end well for Quark. 

I can't believe I have to use the font cloud system with Adobe to use Adobe Caslon. It VERY rarely works. I'm not changing a bunch of my stuff over from Caslon to something non Adobe. 

I am here because Caslon was working an hour ago, now I can't go to press with a job because it's simply not loading, appearing or working in InDesign. It's a daily issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! My fall back is my decades old mainstay QuarkXpress. I have not tried the TypeKit/Adobe Cloud access to the Adobe fonts. That's where I originally looked to see if 'Expert' was part of the Garamond (Roger Slimbach) and Caslon. Didn't see them displayed on the type specimen samples. Which made me believe that Adobe has 'dumbed down' their fonts.

I have tried to contact Adobe about this via phone where encountered the black hole of customer support. Only support for the purchasing and installing of the various applications. Not one single person knew about the Adobe fonts. Frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mea culpa! Just found the access to the Expert fonts for the Cloud Adobe Garamond Pro—Small Caps and Old Style Figures. But no sign of the Alternate Regular and Alternate Italic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you find that access? Is it from within InDesign or Illustrator? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same corner as you. I cannot find Garamond Old Style Figures nor Akzedenz Grotesk at Adobe! My solution is to open an older version of InDesign or Illustrator. Your fonts will reappear.

Akzedenz Grotesk is available from Berthold for $350! I'm retired and I don't have that many jobs in me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found the old style figures! It is available in the FontsAdobe.com as Cormorant Garamond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karin!

Did anyone come up with a solution for this issue – I´m in the same dead end now when I finally had to upgrade from Indesign 2022 to 2023. My old Adobe Garamond Expert fonts arent working. 

Best! Magnus (Sweden) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ended support for Postscript Type 1 fonts in their applications. The old T1 versions of Adobe Garamond that were bundled in with ancient versions of Adobe Illustrator aren't going to work anymore (at least not in Adobe's applications). One solution is using the OpenType versions of Adobe Garamond available to sync at Adobe Fonts. There are six styles of Adobe Garamond Pro, all of which include extended OpenType features like native small capitals, ligatures, old style numerical figures, proportional lining figures, etc. The old T1 fonts were limited to no more than 256 glyphs per font file. OpenType does not have those limitations. So one OTF file could fill the same purpose as several separate T1 files. The only thing missing from this set is the Adobe Garamond Titling style. But that can be overcome by using the Adobe Garamond Premiere Pro family first introduced with Creative Suite 2 back in the 2000's. That 34 font package can be synced at Adobe Fonts. It has a broad range of caption, text and display styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi and thanks Bobby! 

Best regards Magnus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines