• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AdobeFont - Ubuntu TrueType(PC) Opentype(MAC)

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to force AdobeFont to ysnc to the Opentype version of a font rather than the TrueType version?

Having an issue with Ubuntu(AdobeFont)where The font spacing is totally different between my colleague(mac) and myself(pc). Seems the MAC is downloading the Opentype ver. of the font while my pc is downloading a TrueType ver. of the font. Default type setting on both computers are the same. Any Suggestions??

This is a massive problem for any agency sending Artwork files to other agencies for production expecting the synced fonts from Adobe Font to be the same when they are in fact not.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Please do not double post. You posed this question on the general Type & Typography forum where I provided a response. I have locked that thread and will repost my response here!

Adobe Fonts doesn't offer both OpenType TrueType and OpenType CFF fonts for each font available. The vast majority of the fonts provided by Adobe Fonts are in OpenType CFF format and the others, many of which are some of the original Typekit fonts and/or were sourced from Google Fonts are in OpenType TrueType format.

In t

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not double post. You posed this question on the general Type & Typography forum where I provided a response. I have locked that thread and will repost my response here!

Adobe Fonts doesn't offer both OpenType TrueType and OpenType CFF fonts for each font available. The vast majority of the fonts provided by Adobe Fonts are in OpenType CFF format and the others, many of which are some of the original Typekit fonts and/or were sourced from Google Fonts are in OpenType TrueType format.

In terms of differences you are seeing, you don't indicate what program or programs you are referring to on MacOS and Windows, but for Adobe applications using the exact same font file, assuming that you are using the same version of the same application, font metrics including leading and kerning are treated exactly the same. Adobe applications do not use the operating system font services, but rather their own font services (a module called CoolType).

In the specific case of Ubuntu, I can confirm that Adobe Fonts serves an OpenType TrueType font file for both Windows and MacOS. I've just tested them. There is not one iota of difference between the font files based on platform. That being the case, perhaps you can advise as to what application(s) you are seeing a difference in?!? I cannot see a difference between how Ubuntu is being handled on MacOS versus Windows in InDesign, for example. Microsoft Office applications are a totally separate matter; the layout cross platform using the same font can be quite wonky, regrettably.

If you can provide more specifics, we might be able to better assist you.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out. Ubuntu is a free/Open-source fonts. I'd like to check and confirm if you or your colleague have downloaded and installed the OpenType(OTF) version and isn't using the version from Adobe Fonts.

Could you please share the screenshot of the issue you're seeing on Windows and how the font looks on this Mac?

Please let me know if you've any issues with this.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines