• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Benton Sans is gone!

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when a font just disappears from the Adobe library - I have dozens of projects that use Benton Sans - now it is gone!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

If the Benton family was offered from either the Font Bureau or the Carter & Cone font foundaries, it is no longer available through Adobe Fonts because those two foundaries decided to pull all of their fonts from Adobe Fonts. You will need to contact the owning font foundary to license them directly. Dov Isaacs posted an explanation here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/font-bureau-fonts-being-retired-awesome/td-p/11090652?CId=101&CGId=18323

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me! Benton sans whole font family is gone. No notification of Adobe discontinuing the license or anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently they are offering a discount with Typenetwork (?) but I have heard nothing yet....

This puts me into a bad situation - with dealines luming.... not happy with adobe.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got an email with 40% code...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Email from whom? The only notification I received was a warning when I opened a document in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe gave an email for Typenetwork - to purchase the missing fonts. I emailed and got a reply from michelle@typenetwork.com. She gave me a code for a 40% discount on the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Benton Modern Display Ultra is suddenly gone without a trace. This is doing to break several design projects going back a long while. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got an email from - michelle@typenetwork.com

Got a 40% discount to order the fonts.

Still had to pay Typenetwork about $100 - after paying Adobe $30 every month.... 😞

Really not happy....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I just went in to prep files for print—on a deadline—and with no warning have no access to the Benton Sans fonts. This is a big problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same, with Poynter Serif font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup same for me. I'm supposed to be going to print tomrrow and Benton Sans and Benton Extra Compressed are both gone. Why doesn't Adobe atleast notify if there are going to be massive font removals???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat – I had a large campaign that used Benton Sans throughout. It's a big headache.

But, Adobe did notify us in early May that this was going to happen. There was a change to the terms of service agreement that you had to agree to (for me it was on May 8th) and I also got a message that the font I was using would be removed in June. As far as I am aware there are around 60 font families owned by Font Bureau that will disappear in June (presumably gone already).

So at least we've had a month to sort out a replacement font, but it's far from ideal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Benton family was offered from either the Font Bureau or the Carter & Cone font foundaries, it is no longer available through Adobe Fonts because those two foundaries decided to pull all of their fonts from Adobe Fonts. You will need to contact the owning font foundary to license them directly. Dov Isaacs posted an explanation here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/font-bureau-fonts-being-retired-awesome/td-p/11090652?CId...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay, I get to find a replacement font or fork over some cash to buy the font family and explain this new charge to my client (or eat it myself). Thankfully this is not part of a large branding effort.

I think I've found a brilliant new cash cow for font foundries!

Step 1: Put fonts on Adobe for 1-3 years so that they become part of a huge branding effort.

Follow the analytics for download volume. And for kicks, wait to see if big clients take the font bait.

Get paid according to terms with Adobe during this waiting period. Probably not great money, but not bad either.

Step 2: Pull said fonts from Adobe.

Step 3: Watch the mayhem.

Step 4: Come to the "rescue" by selling your fonts to the studios/agencies/clients.

Step 5: Cha-ching!!!

Seriously, this is what is happening right now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a whole brand using this dang font & it's MISSING now, seriously!!!??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you read this thread? Then you know already that this was NOT Adobe's choice but the choice of the owning foundaries. If you have an issue with the font being removed from Adobe Fonts, you need to talk to the foundary. Adobe has never made a guarantee that any fonts other than the ones they own will remain available forever.

Note that anything you've already created that embeds the font, such as PDFs or logos or other graphic images, is not affected by this as long as you do not make any changes.

If you want to continue using the font to create new material or update existing material or, I think, active web pages, you will have to contact the owning foundary to purchase a license.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines