• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot embed Adobe Garamond Pro in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a CC subscription, and installed Adobe Garamond Pro from TypeKit.

I am using this font in a Microsoft Word docx. I set the "Embed fonts" option in Word. I save it as a PDF, and Adobe Garamond Pro is missing in the PDF - it has been substituted with Times New Roman.

As I understand it, the license for Adobe Garamond Pro does allow for embedding in PDFs, so why is it not working?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Missing font , Offline font

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

To answer your question, yes, currently in order to embed any OpenType CFF font in a PDF file created from within Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, you need Acrobat. Even within Adobe, we've complained to Microsoft about this bug/shortcoming in their PDF creation (since we hear about it from customers such as yourself). Microsoft has chosen, so far, to ignore this.

Maybe  you can succeed in convincing Microsoft to fix their PDF save feature to at least handle OpenType CFF fonts correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly how are you creating the PDF file from Microsoft Word? If you are running Windows, there are multiple ways of creating PDF from Word. If you create PDF by using Acrobat's Save as Adobe PDF menu item in Word or the Create Adobe PDF function in the ribbon, text using Adobe Garamond Pro will appear as such in the resultant PDF file, Adobe Garamond Pro being properly embedded in the PDF file.

However if you create PDF by using general Save as function and selecting the PDF option, you are using Microsoft's own PDF creation which cannot properly handle OpenType CFF fonts, i.e. it doesn't know how to properly embed them in PDF files it generates. Thus the font substitution.

Use Acrobat's PDF creation from Word and the problem will go away, again assuming that this is Windows.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have Adobe Acrobat installed - so there's no way to embed fonts properly in a PDF without buying Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To answer your question, yes, currently in order to embed any OpenType CFF font in a PDF file created from within Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, you need Acrobat. Even within Adobe, we've complained to Microsoft about this bug/shortcoming in their PDF creation (since we hear about it from customers such as yourself). Microsoft has chosen, so far, to ignore this.

Maybe  you can succeed in convincing Microsoft to fix their PDF save feature to at least handle OpenType CFF fonts correctly.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, good to know. Thanks.

(I have installed the trial version of Acrobat, and now I can indeed "Save as Adobe PFD" and the font is correctly embedded. So yeah, it's a Microsoft issue. 😞 )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which CC subscription do you have? The all apps subscription does include Acrobat already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just have the Photoshop/Lightroom subscription. I don't really need the other apps, or Acrobat for anything but this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines