• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Century Gothic Greek glyphs

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A warm hello to the community, I have a question, I want to use Century Gothic in a website. Being an MS office user long time now, I know there is the greek "version" of the font. But there is no greek for century gothic in Adobe fonts. Why is that happening? is it something to change anytime soon? Could adobe fonts licence for Century Gothic be only for all other languages?

The purpose of my question is to find out if there is a point of asking Adobe to sort this out.

Thank you in advance.

Antonis

TOPICS
Missing feature , Missing font

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Century Gothic available from Adobe Fonts is actually Century Gothic Pro in OpenType CFF format licensed directly from Monotype. It does not support the Greek character set. Per Monotype, it does claim support for Western Europe, Central/Eastern Europe, Baltic, Turkish, and Romanian languages with 418 glyphs in total.

The version of Century Gothic bundled with Office is a special version of Century Gothic in TrueType format that was designed to match the “advance widths” of ITC Avant Garde, one of the base 35 fonts that were available with Adobe PostScript printers going back 35 years. That special version of Century Gothic has a total of 666 glyphs adding support for Greek and other symbols and alphabetic glyphs requested by Microsoft. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/century-gothic for more information.

If you need a version of Century Gothic that has Greek support and that can be licensed for web use, you need to license Century Gothic WGL from Monotype. It has that 666 glyph complement and can be licensed for web use. You may license it directly via https://www.fonts.com/font/monotype/century-gothic-wgl specifying either desktop and/or web use for licensing. Note that a web license is not inexpensive!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines