• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copyright infringment

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I wonder if anyone can help with this. 

I have an adobe CC subscription. I used a font on my website which is included in that subscription, but I've been contacted by the creator of the font saying that I've infringed on the copyright by self-hosting it on my portfolio site. 

I don't even remember how I got the font working on there, as I'm not a web designer, and just hacked my site together to get it working. 

Now they're asking for $100 because I self-hosted the font instead of linking directly to adobe. 

This just seems a bit mad. I know the law is the law, but I get about 10 visitors a month to my site, and I've now changed the font. Like I say I can't even remember how I got it to work in the first place. 

Does anyone have any advice? Should I push back, or just give in and pay?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

It is absolutely forbidden to self-host fonts from an Adobe subscription, even if you cleverly hack it. You MUST buy a font license if you self host it, or use the Adobe Font in the approved way by reference to Adobe's servers.  You have no grounds to push back, be happy the fine is so small.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely forbidden to self-host fonts from an Adobe subscription, even if you cleverly hack it. You MUST buy a font license if you self host it, or use the Adobe Font in the approved way by reference to Adobe's servers.  You have no grounds to push back, be happy the fine is so small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't say I cleverly hacked it. I randomly bashed buttons until it worked. I could have used the Adobe servers if I'd have known how. It was so long ago I genuinely don't remember how I got it to work. It seems a bit unreasonable to me to pursue this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, it's not up to me, and it's not up to Adobe either (though they could pursue the license infringement). This is between you and the font maker. Adobe certainly aren't going to step in on your behalf to pay or argue, since you didn't follow their license agreement. You need to pay close attention to all your font licenses. In particular, the normal "desktop" font license doesn't allow you to host it on the web. A web hosting license (if available) can easily be $100-$1000, so it doesn't sound as if this is even a fine, just getting you to pay what you should have paid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines