• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cyrillic version of the font doesn't show up in Adobe products.

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!
I keep having this issue: cyrillic versions of the fonts I need either disappear completely or get replaced with weird glyphs in Adobe products when I’m trying to type.
Fonts appear installed on my PC and do work in Powerpoint.
I have tried adding them directly through Cloud but that didn’t help. Also the fonts don’t seem to be available through the ‘Find more’ menu within Indesign.
I've tried to search through the community posts but I can't find the answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2021 Sep 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What font are you using? Are you sure that the Cyrillic character set is included? Try changing the font to Calibri. The Cyrillic character set  is supported with this font. I suspect that Powerpoint makes a behind the scenes replacement of the font.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts that I'm trying to use are Financier, Calibre, Space Mono, Barlow Condensed (we need those according to our guides).
Yes, there's definently something weird happening in powerpoint, although it looks ok initially when I'm typing. I'll look into that! Thank you for your reply! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most Windows apps, including MS Office apps, will automatically choose a different font if a Unicode character is used not in the font. This is automatic and invisible, so it can lead people to believe the font actually includes these characters. Because randomly choosing a font is not good typography, Adobe's apps don't do this.

So, you should use a font viewer to check whether these fonts actually contact Cyrillic. Most modern, good quality, text fonts will contain a full set of Cyrillic characters, but it is not automatic. If your fonts don't include the characters you (or the style guide authors) will need to choose a compatible font to provide them. It may well be that random substitution has been happening for years, and nobody noticed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines