• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disconnect published Muse site from Typekit/Adobe Fonts?

Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Muse to Adobe Fonts.]

Hi all!

FIRST A HORT NOTE:  Yes, despite Nancy's best efforts (which confuses many of us!), I am still knocking out GREAT websites with Muse. No significant issues at all.

QUESTION:

I handed off a site to a client who will host themselves. However, I neglected to set up self-hosted fonts before handing off the files and they are still hitting our Adobe fonts server account to serve their visitors.

This creates a few issues:  

1. They are no longer our active client and thus not paying anything. 

2. That means they don't pay into fees paid to Adobe, or any type designers. 

3. I don't think this free ride is fair to anyone.

4. This likely breaks a number of type licensing agreements, and does so using our account's access to Adobe's type servers. I'm not good with that.

So, how can we - remotely - disconnect that domain's access to our Adobe account?

1. I can hand them an updated file (project and exported site) set up to self-host, but they don't care or want to bother with it. Nor do they want to have to buy the fonts they now get for free.

2. Is there any control on Adobe's site to deny access from specific domains (which were entered into the HTML export/FTP upload dialogs)?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I experienced, you should hand them a newly created "exported as html" site with their self hosted fonts, which they (or better you) use and install for them. For self hosted fonts you need to install those fonts on/into muse. If one needs to purchase that self hosted fonts, well … of course the client needs to pay. In my opinion the fonts cannot easily be changed in the already kind of published html. I do not know, wether Adobe can deny access to certain sites or not. I guess, if this happens once, those fonts are replaced then with "fallback" fonts.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The horse is out of the gate already. My mistake. I was hoping for a way to control that access server side. Oh well.

BTW, you do a great job up here. I try to do similarly on the muse Facebook thread.

Best,

Lance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You and your client are in violation of Adobe Fonts Terms of Service.  Your client needs their own paid subscription/font licenses to use the fonts.  Sharing subscriptions/font licenses is NOT allowed.  Just saying...

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/font-licensing.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU are just saying?
Wasn't that exactly what I was saying? Wasn't that exactly what my post was
about? But if you're happy being the one who was just saying it, feel free
to take all the credit in the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sarcasm aside, you have your answer. There's no way to sugar coat it.

As web designer, it's incumbent upon YOU to do what's necessary to protect yourself and your client.  Either remove the fonts, exchange the fonts or take the site down until the font issues are resolved.  Hopefully, the site owner is willing to pay for their own fonts. If not, maybe you can substitute with comparable Google Fonts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

You misunderstand me. I have no anamosity for you PERSONALLY. But my comments are what they are. I have read plenty of your posts and can not recall many that were in any way HELPFUL to the community. Contrast your posts with Uwe who works hard to do exactly what community forums are for:  To be helpful. This is why he is loved up here.

Your posts have a consistent overtone of rudeness and distdain for our fellow users. I don't understand it.

So you understand where I am coming from:

I have worked with Adobe since 1988. I worked directly with John Knoll on the pre-release team for Photoshop (and John was kind enough to write the forward to one of my books.) I have been a tech and marketing consutltant for Adobe, Alias|Wavefront, etc., I produced years of educational seminars for Apple Computer to sold out events, and I've been writing for Future Publishing (3D World Mag, CreativeBloq.com) for 22 years. And I was the main Muse writer for most of its life. I could go on.

The point is, we are up here to help. Perhaps you can join us in that goal? If you have real suggestions of a way to correct what was a small error (handing a client the project file they paid for, how horrible are we? And yes, that was sarcasm), I'd be happy to hear your productive response. 

I cant imagine I am the first Muse user to hand their client a Muse file with Typekit links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realize this is the Adobe Fonts community, right?

You have the best answers I can provide to your question.  If you don't like the answers,  that's beyond my control.  🙄

Have a very nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that font licensing, which is what this boils down to, isn't appropriate for the Fonts thread?

I have no doubt that the service you provide here is the best that youi can do. And yet Adobe keeps you on staff anyway? 

MY SIMPLE SOLUTION, FOR ANYONE THAT CARES:

I wrote my client a detailed email explaing that their hosting of the site is likely breaking licensing agreements. And that they should make sure to either purchase any needed licensing and fonts from Adobe.
Or option #2, they should buy the fonts, or swap out alternative Google fonts, and set up for self-hosting.
What they do, I obviously have no control over. But they have been informed, and given multiple options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask, wether you handed them really the .muse file? Well then it might be very easy for them to handle their fonts issue, right? They then also have to have a fully paid CC subscription as well in order to use muse because without it no muse available. If they cannot handle the muse file, they might have got the "exported as html" file additionally? In that case, and if they do not have a very coding experienced person on hand, as of this reading I only know pinegrow to be the only web app out there to import any website exactly how it appears on the web, then the fonts might be changed kind of easily in that then newly created socalled project. The problem with the code of muse, I heard of, it is said to be very blowted, whatever that means. Pinegrow is a visual code editor, so one does not really need code but as always, to have some knowledge is always better - at least to understand the streucture of websites. Me personally, I cannot code - I cannot think like a coder -  I keep with sparkle and blocs for now.

For this "violation" issue - nobody will get shot for this. From my guess the only thing that would happen sooner or later, is that fonts without permisssion will appear with their fallback fonts. It will not look  as nicely designed as before with all its (Zeilenumbruch) sizes and trackings, and so…

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Uwe. Always helpful!

I strive to be thorough. So my hand-offs include everything. The .muse project file, and a clean and complete exported html site folder. Plus supporting files. So they have options on how to handle this.

Plus, while I would prefer to be done with this particular client, should they need, I would make the modification for them. However the project called for it to be hosted on our servers, and we developed it for that use. Prepping it for other hosting needs/specs is additional work we need to be paid for. But the client probably doesn't wish to pay extra, so they will be on their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I understood, that the got informed by you about their need to look for legal use of fonts and change it for that purpose. Now it's their business, so nothing to do on your side, I guess from common sense. If they are not willing to pay for extra work get rid of them like you say.

Best Luck and Kindest Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe. Feel free to visit our Muse support on Facebook, where I moderate and do my best to help out. 

Best,

Lance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lance,

I check this, thanks. Let me ask what to look at? You may invite me : fotografie.uwe.roeder or give me your profilename.

Kind Regards,

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The woman who created The forum, and who herself has since moved on, whimsically changed the name to "Dtill using Muse" earlier this year. And I'm Lance Evans, one of the moderators. Certainly not as active as it once was, but we do what we can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines