• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I have add the font-weight in order to use it on web?

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

At work we have a client that uses Typekit. They have a font with the weights 300 (slim) and 400 (regular) at the time being. The design showcases a few places where they gone need a 600/700 (semi-bold/bold) font in that particular font. Now we can do like this and it works, but it just doesn't look right, it seems as the browser is "faking it". My questions are, do they have to add the bolder version to the "web-project collection"? And, is there any truth to my theory of the browser faking it. 

Thanks

font-family: 'my-font', serifs;

font-weight: 700;

TOPICS
Font rendering , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Owing to browser variation and differences in displays & end user settings, font rendering is NOT identical across all devices.  That's the nature of the web.

With that in mind, font-weight is not pixel perfect either.  It varies a lot by browser, platform (Win/Mac, etc...) and the pixel density of your display.

If your font has custom variants, it's not a bad idea to use them if it doesn't add too much excess bandwidth and negatively impact page load speed.  Consult with your web developer about that.  Nobody likes slow loading web pages.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines