Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Do you need font licenses if you modified a font?

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been designing a logo and I have used a font as a base but then modified it to tweak some of the letters, removing flourishes etc.

I was just wondering what the legal stuff is for that situation. Do you need to buy licences if you have modified a font?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Fonts service doesn't deliver actual font files to you to directly access. As such, there is no way of “modifying” such fonts.

Perhaps you are outlining text that use that font and modifying the glyph shapes for your logo?

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, sorry. I have outlined a font then modified it from there, adjusting x-heights and tweaking letters.

I just don't know if you still need to buy a license if you have modified it when outlined.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As long as you don't try to make a font out of the outlines, you are OK. There is no license that you can buy for reconverting those outlines into a new font.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines