• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font Licencing for Online PDFs

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help me clarify what counts as ePublication, for fonts in PDFs made available online? This is a general question, not just pertaining to Adobe fonts.

The context is a non-profit publication. Each issue is available in print and online for free- money comes from ads in each issue. Online issues are available as PDFs of the printed version, which can be downloaded from the website.

• Does a free pdf- containing paid ads- available for download online require a commercial ePub licence for the fonts? Would it depend on the editability of the PDF/how fonts are embedded? These details aren't clear in many licences

• In a publication that requires ePub licensing, are outlined/rasterized typefaces still covered by a desktop licence?

• If a client supplies an ad to be published, who needs to hold the licences for the fonts in that ad- the publication, the client, or both? (for desktop or ePub use)

I realize that answers may depend on individual font licences, but I’m trying to get a general sense. What counts as ePub use is nebulous when it comes to PDFs. (And by ePub I mean the licence type- not a specific format.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Licenses are individually written and you can’t generalise; you must read them or get a statement from the font licensor. If a font license says the font can’t be used on a Tuesday or in green ink, this applies. Some licenses do forbid use in a PDF. Some font licenses do forbid outlining. The Adobe Fonts subscription license DOES allow use in a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay- that's what I thought. (I was hoping there'd be a generalization of some kind. Oh well.)

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines