• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font licensing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, since I would like to use an Adobe font for an eBook, I would like to know if I have to buy more licenses of the same font in case I want to use the italics option from the text editor. In other words do I need to have two licenses for the same font I want to use if I have to use the italics option from the text editor.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Yes, the "faux" options are the ones created on the fly by MSword from the regular font. It's considered ugly, because these are just slanted versions of the regular font.

That said, Minion pro is part of Adobe font (it's a font created by Adobe for starters!)
https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/minion
So no problem with licencing these for ebooks if you have a running adobe subscription. All the variations are included, so no worries to licence all the variations.

If you are not in an Adobe subscriptio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if possible I would like to know which type of license I would neeed to buy to publish a book with Kindle Publishing, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mardo29143726geql,

Thanks for reaching out. I would like to inform you that the fonts are licensed for embedding in any ebook format, which protects the font data such as EPUB, iBooks, Kindle (Mobi), Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), and PDF.

Also, please check this article which has information on Font licencing: https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/font-licensing.html

Let us know if that helps.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've not found the answers I needed in the link provided I still have the same questions.

1) If I use the italics option from the text editor do I need a separate license, for the italics only? So two license, one for the regular font and one for the italics.

2) Is the desktop license for the fonts enough for a digital publishing through Kindle?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use regular and italics, it is NOT the same fonts. Although it's easy to switch, it is two actual different fonts, each with its own license, separately credted by the font designer. Ditto bold. Ditto bold italic. However I don't know how this relates to the Adobe Fonts service - you don't get to choose what to pay for with your subscription. This seems to be a question that is NOT about the Adobe Fonts service. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, since I didn't know where to post the question I posted it here. I would like to purchase a license for a singular font and not any subscription from Adobe since I don't have any needs about it at the moment. So I need to have two licenses for the two different types, thanks. Is the desktop license enough for an ebook publishing through Kindle?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different foundries may have different policies regarding if their general licence includes e-books. As a general rule, you'll have to licence both, unless you are using a faux-italics (same with faux-bold) in your ebook. But these choices (faux-anything) will make the heart of any designer jump in dramatic outrage 🙂 It's your choice if you want to use REAL italics or fake ones.
Best bet is to ask the foundry what is their take on it... Which font do you have in mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to use Minion Pro for my eBook. Are the faux versions of the fonts the ones created by Microsoft Word using the italics and bold buttons? I have no idea about it, just wanted to know if there are any differences, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the "faux" options are the ones created on the fly by MSword from the regular font. It's considered ugly, because these are just slanted versions of the regular font.

That said, Minion pro is part of Adobe font (it's a font created by Adobe for starters!)
https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/minion
So no problem with licencing these for ebooks if you have a running adobe subscription. All the variations are included, so no worries to licence all the variations.

If you are not in an Adobe subscription of any sort, then you need to contact Adobe originals directly or read their specific policies on their website, if available

https://www.adobe.com/products/type.html

and more specifically
https://www.adobe.com/products/type/fonts-by-adobe.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just be sure to buy the right licenses. They are different fonts, and buying two licenses for Minion Regular will leave you without a license for Minion Italic. There are, as you may have seen, 64 different styles of Minion - and the name of the font doesn't match what you see in font lists!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines