• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I assure my client that I have legally accessed this font?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a question about the use of Adobe fonts, I read the license and a question arose.
How can I assure my client that I have legally accessed this font?

And on the other hand, how can the client prove that he received the logo files with the Adobe font legally - from me, as an artist?

Thanks

TOPICS
Download install and licensing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

If the client has questions regarding font licensing, you should send him to the licensing terms. But normally, if one asks me, I answer them that the fonts are legally licensed. Nothing more. Normally, that happens, when a customer asks me the font files, which I can't deliver. Included in my service fee is, however, counsel, where to license the fonts if needed. I can also assist the customer with licensing the font, but I insist that they do that on their own.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

if I create a design for a client using the paid fonts that come with the Creative Suite, how will the client later prove that they received the design officially? That is, from a person who had a commercial right to use the font.

By @iva_creative

Aren't you issuing an invoice? He needs only to prove that he asked you to do a design. He does not need to prove that you were not using stolen tools to create that. I never asked my electrician, if he paid the cables he installed in my house. I nev

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are sharing InDesign files, Illustrator drawings, Photoshop designs etc. they WILL NOT contain an Adobe Font (from the Adobe Font subscription service). They will contain only a reference to the font. The client needs their own Adobe subscriptions to use documents containing the font.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sending source files or pdfs? A client working with source files would need the Adobe apps to open them so you would both be covered. If you send finished pdf files, you can embed (subset) fonts so the documents preview and print correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I of course vectorize all fonts into outlines before sending the files.

if I create a design for a client using the paid fonts that come with the Creative Suite, how will the client later prove that they received the design officially? That is, from a person who had a commercial right to use the font.

How to provide the client with guarantees that they will not get a knock on the door with a subpoena? And if they knock, he will have arguments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noooooooooo. Please don't! Fonts are licensed for embedding, and you should almost always not outline your fonts. The files will print much better using fonts instead of outlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the client has questions regarding font licensing, you should send him to the licensing terms. But normally, if one asks me, I answer them that the fonts are legally licensed. Nothing more. Normally, that happens, when a customer asks me the font files, which I can't deliver. Included in my service fee is, however, counsel, where to license the fonts if needed. I can also assist the customer with licensing the font, but I insist that they do that on their own.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to provide the client with guarantees that they will not get a knock on the door with a subpoena? And if they knock, he will have arguments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @iva_creative

Aren't you issuing an invoice? He needs only to prove that he asked you to do a design. He does not need to prove that you were not using stolen tools to create that. I never asked my electrician, if he paid the cables he installed in my house. I never asked the fuel station manager, if the fuel he sells is from a legal source.

By @iva_creative

Well, when you first meet your client, you have to tell him, that no one will knock to his door with a subpoena because you work only with licenced tools. Definitely, you have the Adobe invoices that you licenced the tools?

Incidentally: Do you know of any client of yours who got a subpoena because you designed something for him?

By @iva_creative

You are crippling your data. There is no need for doing that.

• Fonts can't be extracted from a PDF.
  • Adobe fonts are licenced for embedding. Many other fonts are too. Any font that isn't licenced for embedding should be avoided, as it is basically useless.
  • Your documents can't be text searched any more.
  • Fonts include hints for the rasterizer. By outlining, you destroy this additional data.

If you have doubts about the legal aspects of your work, you should ask your lawyer.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much, I guess I misunderstood the condition about embedding fonts in documents in adobe licenses.

Thanks for so much advice! I am a student from Ukraine, just studying)

Thank you x3!))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines