• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off automatic font activation

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A week or so ago I accidentally clicked a button to allow Indesign (or Adobe?) to automatically activate fonts that are missing from a document. I can't find where to turn this feature off.

Cheers, Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Finally stumbled across the location of preference for "Auto-activate Adobe Fonts". It's in preferences/File Handling.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.48.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind disabling the button from the Creative Cloud app as shown in the screenshot below?

Screenshot_12.png

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that completely turns off Adobe Fonts. Before I had to option to activate individual fonts when needed. There was a check box next to each missing font. For prepress I need to be able to check individual fonts and make sure they match what the customer sent.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.27.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for elaborating it. Yes so now you will be able to activate the full family of font and not the individual font weight from fonts.adobe.com and search the font you want to activate. Please see the attached screenshot.

Screenshot_14.png

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to keep Indesign from automatically activating fonts? Seems like you're saying it's all or nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some fonts have a dozen different versions, some TrueType, some Open Type, some Postscript, and different foundries and versions of each of these. Sometimes customer even sends a mix of the different flavors and versions.

I used to be able to turn on individual fonts as needed and verify that the clients file maintained it’s correct type flow, proper line breaks, etc.

Now if I have adobe fonts turned off I don’t have access to adobe fonts when they are needed. Some clients are using adobe fonts so they are needed.

But if they’ve used a different flavor of a font that is also available from adobe, then I’m in trouble because I can’t be sure to have the correct font type and version. Adobe will activate automatically and I don’t know it until the customer calls up complaining that the type flow is all different.

Is there no way to get back to being able to activate individual fonts as needed? Do I need to go back to an earlier version of Indesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally stumbled across the location of preference for "Auto-activate Adobe Fonts". It's in preferences/File Handling.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 1.48.58 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am having the same issue, but this setting is already turned off for me.

I want to keep a specific font family from activating when I open old documents so that I am prompted to find/change to my new font. I don't want to deactivate all Adobe fonts. Just one family in particular.

Should the method above work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would probably keep the auto activate function turned off, but you should also be able to go into the Creative Cloud app and turn off that specific family by going to Manage Fonts and searching for the font you no longer are wanting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should this box be checked or unchecked if I don't want to auto-activate a font? I have the check box turned off, but Source Sans Pro still auto-activates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is doing the same thing! Any updates on how to stop it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what program is ths dialog box from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been a resolution to this? I'm on mac indesign 2023 recent update and non-adobe fonts that have been removed from suitcase are still auto activating when opening old documents. To comply with the new OTF font requirement I need to replace these fonts with new OTF fonts but the old keep auto-activating even with the auto-activate button clicked off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

acutally meant removed from font book - not suitcase

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This checkbox does not exist in Photoshop 2023. What the heck, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yet another arrogant, time consuming, productivity damaging feature from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be another nightmare Adobe has created for me. As advised above, I switched off Adobe fonts, but the InDesign Background Tasks keep trying to replace my original Proforma fonts with Adobe Proforma fonts (which do not have small caps, etc.). Also, all my Proforma Small Caps fonts do not appear in the InDesign font menu even though they are activated in FontExplorer X Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As if it wasn’t enough, Adobe now induces users to Save to Creative Cloud by default in Illustrator, by removing the (command+S) shortcut and forcing users to manually click the ‘On your computer’ button. Amazing, ha?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines