Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Non-breaking space width - font Serenity

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use font Serenity (https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/serenity) in one of my web project. When I use non-breaking space ( ) in text, the space between words is wider than regular space. It seem that only this font causes problem. Other web projects and fonts render space with normal width. There is nothing special in my CSS or HTML. Changing word spacing or other spacing didn't help.

ps.jpg

TOPICS
Font rendering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear about your difficulties. Would you mind sharing the live URL of the website via private message in order for us to observe the issue?

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've sent you private message. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing the link. I have shared it with our engineering team. I will let you know if there is anything required. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @musilm 

I would like to inform you that our engineering team was able to reproduce the issue and they are investigating it. If additional information is needed or as soon as the issue has been resolved, I'll keep you informed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to ask what is the status of this problem, unfortunately I still see that the font is not working properly.

Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I am having a similar problem using Minion Pro and Times New Roman. I downloaded a journal article from 1985. The PDF was a scanned image and as such, poor quality for reading. I used the Text Edit tool and Acrobat automatically scanned and made each page editable and converted the scanned text into editable text. However, the editable text was converted to various fonts and font sizes. So I then edited each page to have the same fonts and font characteristics (including making everything left aligned, size 10 pt., Line spacing 1.20, Paragraph spacing after 5, Horizontal scaling 94, and Character spacing -0.17). However... there are multiple times where the width of a single space is very different. If I retype the paragraph, the spacing width is consistent and appropriate. In some places the spaces are a few characters wider (here   is   an   example). In other places, it is REALLY WIDE (here       is       an       example).  I thought it might be because the original text was Justified (all text is spaced out so the last character of every line ends on the right margin) but I changed the alignment to be left aligned and yet the spacing remains even after I delete it and retype the space. I have to retype the entire sentence starting from a point earlier in the paragraph where the spacing is more appropriate. Here is a paste from the document - The authors are Deci and Ryan (1985, p.111, https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-6566(85)90023-6) and I make no claim to their work. The only editing I have done has been to the format of the PDF, not their words or ideas (that was Academic Butt-Covering).

I retyped the first sentence of the text in the examples below and achieved appropriate widths of the spaces. The paragraph that follows has the irregular-sized width of the spaces. The screenshot demonstrates that I have already edited the text as I described above. 

Minion Pro Font screenshot

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.23.08 PM.png

This remains an issue for the Times New Roman font as well. 

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.24.42 PM.png

I also tried it in an Adobe font - Adobe Clean and you can see the same issues. 

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.28.18 PM.png

Is there a way to change the width of the spaces between words? I experimented using various Horizontal Spacing Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.43.36 PM.pngand  Character SpacingScreenshot 2024-04-06 at 5.45.29 PM.png values with no change in the width of the spaces. 

I would appreciate any guidance or thoughts that you at Adobe have or from anyone in the Adobe community. 

Thank you!

VJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines