• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Type

New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently using Antenna and given that is no longer supported by Adobe, we are considering moving to an Open Type font. Those being considered include: Open Sans, Century Gothic, Helvetica, Lato...

My two main concerns are:

1. Are any Open Type fonts at risk of being retired from the Adobe list of offerings?

2. Do these all provide equal functionlaity across digital platforms and is there a risk this may change?

Thanks for your guidance.

Moving to the Adobe Fonts community since this question is somewhat specific to the Adobe Fonts service. Mod.

TOPICS
Font rendering , Performance , Sync issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of the Adobe Fonts service, any font that is not an “Adobe Original” font (i.e., owned by Adobe) or sourced from Google Fonts or any other open source has the possibility of being “retired” if the foundry from which the font is sourced decides to no longer participate in the Adobe Fonts service.

One of the major advantages of OpenType (note spelling) fonts is the ubiquity of support across platforms and applications.

Further note that when dealing with Helvetica, there are many different versions of Helvetica with differing metrics, designs, glyph complements, and especially font names. And you can't assume that Helvetica is available as a so-called “system font” on all platforms.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dov,

So, for long-term planning and multiple platform functionality, I should select from the OpenType Adobe list of fonts. Can you point me to how and where I can serach that? 

Thanks,

A

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have a subscription to any of the Adobe Creative Cloud or Document Cloud products, you go to https://fonts.adobe.com/ and you can search from there. Access to the fonts is available at no extra cost, either for web use or desktop use, without any further charge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a subscription. Just wondering if I can search by OpenType for all the font options in that family?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the website and there are a number of search options therein. Explore! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I see that Open Sans does not offer a Regular Condensed version. What would you recommend as the closest to Antenna that has the widest variety of versions?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines