• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type 1 Fonts Question

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of the following Type 1 fonts? Permian Slab, Open Sans, Georgia or Arial?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Hi @Rick22886273nv7v You can find out the type of each by looking in the fonts folder on your system for fonts you have installed. I use Windows, so the folder is found under C:\Windows\Fonts. Double-click on any font to open a window and further check the font type. If you have any Adobe Fonts activated through your CC subscription, those are not Type 1 fonts. If you don't have the font installed or activated, you'll need to find the original foundry and look at the font description. Hope that

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rick22886273nv7v You can find out the type of each by looking in the fonts folder on your system for fonts you have installed. I use Windows, so the folder is found under C:\Windows\Fonts. Double-click on any font to open a window and further check the font type. If you have any Adobe Fonts activated through your CC subscription, those are not Type 1 fonts. If you don't have the font installed or activated, you'll need to find the original foundry and look at the font description. Hope that helps!

JainLemos_0-1643399603363.png

JainLemos_1-1643399650106.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 343 Type One fonts.

Over $10,000 in cost and countless documents that will be affected.

Do you know why is Adobe ending support for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @christineb56206384, Basically, Type 1 fonts have become a depreciated format. You can read Adobe's notice here about the decision. https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

So, starting in January 2023, any PostScript Type 1 fonts will not appear in your font list. Any documents using PostScript Type 1 fonts will trigger a “missing font” error when opened. This is certainly a big challenge for many in the design community. The best thing you can do is start now in making your font replacements, as many of us have been doing since this notification. We're consciously choosing alternate font types (TrueType or OpenType fonts) for new projects, and disabling Type 1 fonts from our systems as we find replacements. I'm sorry the news isn't any better than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on Adobe's annoucement that Postscript Type 1 fonts will no longer be supported, does that also apply for OpenType Type 1 as well?
Everything I have read so far leaves me with more questions than answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Richard26091757m8do, I know it is somewhat confusing at first. But rest assured, fonts indicated as OpenType with any other attribute are fine to use. OpenType Type 1 means the format is OpenType, but the characters were derived from Type 1 font shapes and/or converted properly. Also, any fonts activated for your apps through fonts.adobe.com you can use without worry. If you come across other fonts you are unsure about, please come back to ask. I hope that's helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So does it matter what version my OpenType font is then or is this only effecting Postrscript Type 1? Many thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @Richard26091757m8do. All OpenType fonts are fine, regardless of the version (of course, only use fonts from legitimate foundries). Type 1 fonts are PostScript, yes, but they are also known as PS1, T1, Adobe Type 1, Multiple Master, or MM fonts. Keep in mind that Type 1 fonts were created by Adobe in the first place, but they switched to OpenType fonts in 1999. Both Windows and Mac operating systems are in the process of moving towards ending support for Type 1 fonts as well.

The key is not to download or license any Type 1 fonts going forward, and to replace or disable Type 1 fonts on your computer, so you don't accidentally use them. If you do, any Adobe document or file with a Type 1 font will trigger their “Missing Font” error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My complaint is that I have spent thousands of dollars building a
library of Type One fonts and used them in hundreds to thousands of
designs. Now what?

Every update to an archived project means a conversation with the client
and more cost to them as I search for replacement fonts and refit the
information. Hardly fair to them or my company.

--
Thank you,
Christine Beneda
Beneda Design
GRAPHIC and WEB Design
541-343-7323

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I certainly understand. Many of us have had to go through this very process, unfortunately. While there has been more than a year to prepare for the discontinuation, I'm sure some of my older projects will need readdressing if any changes are required. There are font conversion tools to try out, but tread carefully there. Some foundries may give you a credit to swap Type 1 fonts, and it's certainly worth asking for a credit or discount if you have your original receipts. So far, I've found that almost every font has a near neighbor in TT or OT.

Something you might want to explore, as I am doing, is learning to create OpenType fonts within Photoshop and Illustrator using programs like Fontself (I have no affiliation). One of our forum experts, Monika Gause, has a great tutorial on creating color fonts with the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry me again! So if my fonts in InDesign show as OpenType Type 1, do we know if these will be ok to use on the 1st February??

The more I read in to this the more confused I'm becoming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need to apologize! That's what we are here for. If that font has the .otf extension (FrutigerLTStd-ExtraBlackCn.otf) you are fine to use it. As long as you don't get the “missing font” prompt, you'll be fine, and you can keep using it after January. Here is one explanation I found that may help you:

OpenType fonts are cross-platform compatible making it easier to share files across operating systems. Font management is simpler since there is just one file involved. An OpenType font file contains all the outline, metric and bitmap data in one file. It can contain TrueType (.ttf extension) or PostScript (.otf extension) font data and uses ATM to render the font on-screen. Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop support OpenType which allows them to use the expanded character sets and layout features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, happy to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines