• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Typekit fonts not rendering properly on PC browsers

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acumin Pro for a website. The font appears correctly on Mac browsers but does not on PC browsers. I have reviewed the community and searched Google but to no avail.

comparo.png

Moved to Adobe Fonts community. This is not a general Type & Typography issue!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What browsers on each platform? And since your examples are rather low resolution and fuzzy-wuzzy, can you please be specific as to the differences you see? Thanks!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click on the image in the message, it should enlarge to higher resolution. If that doesn't work for you, I can attached another version.

On PC browsers the font is not appearing as it should. The outlines are chunky and pixelated at all font sizes - points to a rendering issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on this support post on Acumin Pro not rendering properly on PC browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I don't see any discernible differences in fonts from your screenshot.  Sorry.

• Which browsers are you comparing? 
  • What is the pixel density and screen resolution on your PC monitor vs your Mac monitor?
  • How do the fonts render on iPad, iPhone and Android devices?
  • Are you using browser-prefixed font-smoothing in your CSS code?
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-smooth

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Nancy. Perhaps the screen shot doesn't do the issue justice at the preview size but it is event in the browser. To be clear this is an issue on all PC browsers. No issue on all Mac browsers, OS or Android devices . This has been tested on a full browser stack. And yes, font-smooting is used in the CSS.

I have included a closer look at the difference. Mac on the right. PC on the left.

comparo-CU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction. Mac on left. PC on right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry.  I just don't see any extraordinary differences between the two. This looks perfectly normal to me.  Rendering on Mac and PC will never be identical. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm suprised you cannot see any difference between them – it's quite apparent. I have moved to another platform and the fonts are rendering identical on both Mac and PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say another platform, what do you mean? I'm currently having this problem with a site build and I am the only one on the team on PC so no one else sees this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• This is an old topic. 
  • Typekit is dead. 

If you're using Typekit on a website, switch to Adobe Fonts or Google Web Fonts.

Republish your site. 

Use Ctrl/Cmd + F5 to refresh your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL thanks Nancy, except I already am using Adobe Fonts and yet the problem persists. Even when using Adobe Fonts in 2023,  Acumin Pro does not render properly on PCs. The dev company we work with actively discourages the use of Adobe Fonts for exactly this reason as it is a pervasive problem. It's ok, we just decided it wasn't worth the headache and switched to a Google font. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My team has noticed the same issues with Acumin Pro on Windows browsers. The issues are most noticeable when using smaller (<= 20px), bold text.

Here is an example that has especially poor legibility on Windows. This text is using Acumin Pro 14px bold (Firefox browser):

Brendan5CAA_0-1628869310431.png

Here is the same example on MacOS (Firefox):

Brendan5CAA_1-1628869399565.png

Note: On Windows, the numbers 5 and 6, and letter "s" lose whitespace within the character.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See responses above - as a designer I see big differences but as with most Adobe support responses you are either a) wrong or b) they can't see an issue... saves them from addressing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at these links:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing these links. Unfortunately, I have tried using the techniques found in these references, such as the CSS "text-rendering" property. I have also tried using different font file formats (svg, ttf, woff, woff2) and adjusting the ClearType settings in Windows. The CSS "font-smooth" property is only supported by MacOS and has no effect on Windows. Adjusting font-size or font-weight is the only way I have found to avoid the issue. And to tell a designer to avoid 12-14px bold text of a font entirely is not an appropriate solution. Not all other fonts (system or non-system) suffer this issue – which makes me wonder whether it is due to how the Acumin Pro font has been designed. I understand that a font will never render exactly the same across browsers and operating systems, but this issue, in my opinion, goes beyond minor rendering differences and affects the legibility of the font using common styles on an entire operating system.

Here is another example of the issue (latest Chrome on Windows 10), this time showing the differences in a bold heading from 19px to 22px. Whereas the 19px bold heading has all character shapes intact and appears ok, the 20px heading characters have a significant degradation of legibility.

Brendan5CAA_0-1628879658955.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a web developer, I don't sweat the small stuff.  99% of Internet users don't notice slight irregularities in font rendering unless it makes the text unreadable. In that case, I would try another font or variant from the same or a comparable font-family.   Acumin is a sans-serif, neo-grotesque similar to Neue Haas Unica, Aktiv Grotesk, Google's Roboto and Noto Sans.

For testing, all browsers' zoom levels should be 100% or normal and text-only magnification should be disabled in your browser's config file.  Likewise, add-ons should be turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have faced another cross-OS rendering issue with this font. It has different vertical positioning. On Windows it more offset to bottom. And on macOS more to top. No matter what browser on both OS. I appear on the website that I'm developing and on a randomly found font website.
The first one is macOS, the second one - Windows. 
Background color has directly H1 tag.
mcOs.jpg

Win.jpg

So, if you have some rectangle, like a button, and it has equal top/bottom paddings it will be look different on macOS and Windows. 
Here is an example of issue on my website. Same styles, but different look.
MacOS:
Mac.jpg

And Windows:
2023-07-04 22.45.21.jpg

Kind request, do not write that you can't see difference)

Best regards, Pavlo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is clearly a problem with this typeface from Adobe. There is an obvious difference between how the font is rendered in XD and in the browser on the same OS. In this case, Windows 11.

See the screenshot below. Both Acumin Pro, bold, 20px. Left is in chrome, and right in XD. (Both at 100% zoom levels)

Screenshot 2023-11-21 143810.png

As a web developer myself, I do sweat the small stuff - and when receiving a design file to work from, from a designer, I want to do the best I can for the client to get the final product matching the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines