• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to add Rooney Sans to web project

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title states, the "Add to web project" button isn't available on Rooney Sans.

This is on a new website I'm setting up, but the client is using it already on a different site (originally set up with Typekit), so it's clearly feasible to use.

So is there a reason this isn't useable? I don't see it with any other fonts.

Many thanks

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble with this. The foundry that owns Rooney Sans asked that it be retired from the subscription font library.

Your client likely created their web project before that change. Adobe continues to serve retired fonts to any published projects, but the fonts can't be added to any new projects. There's more information on font retirement in this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/retired-fonts.html

If you'd like to use Rooney Sans on a new project, you wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, this is the font: Rooney Sans | Adobe Fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm sorry that you ran into trouble with this. The foundry that owns Rooney Sans asked that it be retired from the subscription font library.

Your client likely created their web project before that change. Adobe continues to serve retired fonts to any published projects, but the fonts can't be added to any new projects. There's more information on font retirement in this page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/retired-fonts.html

If you'd like to use Rooney Sans on a new project, you would need to purchase a font license for it. You can buy that license from our website to add it to your Adobe account (permanently) or you can license the fonts from the designer directly at https://www.janfromm.de/.

I hope that this helps; let me know if you have any other questions.

-- liz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah right, thanks Liz. That's a shame, but understandable. Thank you for the swift and helpful response, much appreciated.

I spent some time investigating this yesterday, but didn't come across that retired fonts page. I think it would be beneficial to have some form of notice (including the information you've given above) on the pages of fonts which aren't automatically usable with Typekit, as the assumption is that all fonts are usable. Especially so with fonts like Rooney Sans, which still has the web usage guidelines on its page.

So, just a little feature request there!

Thanks again

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, one further question: when I go to purchase a weight of the font, it doesn't specify whether this will include the web font version of the files.

Is it the case that it will just add the </> link next to the weight's name, allowing me to add it to a web project?

Many thanks

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi allsgoodandwell,

All fonts purchased through Adobe Fonts come with both desktop and web licenses. I'm sorry this wasn't more clear. If you purchase the font, you'll be able to use it for websites.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, thanks for clarifying that Benjamin.

I think it's more that it's not clear that the license for web doesn't explicitly state it applies to 'web fonts', rather than for use on websites but embedded in graphics, which were separate things in the past (if that makes sense!)

Anyway, cheers for clearing it up.

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines