• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Welsh Language option.

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there and plans to add Welsh to the list of languages when searching in browse fonts.?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far as I know the 29 letters of modern Welsh are made entirely by combining Latin 1 characters, so you could choose  Catalan, English or others to find suitable fonts. Details follow:

(This is not an Adobe reply but a personal opinion; I do not work for Adobe). It's a pity Adobe chose to use the word "language" to simplify searching, because it is not actually searching for a language, and not presenting a result in a different language, and is not a term used in font classification. Instead, it is searching for a font suitable for showing a language - really, you might say it's searching for an "alphabet". Sometimes "language" and "alphabet" go together, like Japanese. However, almost all the western european languages that I know use the same Latin alphabet, with accented characters found in almost all Western fonts. So choosing "Spanish", "English", "Portugese" or "Catalan" should give the same answer (and I don't know why it does not!) - "Latin 1" is the correct term for all western European fonts, or more formally "ISO/IEC 8859-1" - I suppose I can see why the font browser does not offer ISO/IEC numbers. The term "language" here, while superficially simple, risks being confusing or not inclusive, and could perhaps be improved.  

Latin 2 is similar to Latin 1 but has different accents as found in Eastern europe. https://jakubmarian.com/alphabets-of-europe/

(Would welcome an Adobe reply on whether you feel the term "language", not an official font classification term, has problems with inclusivity!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The welsh alphabet is covererd by characters in the Latin alphabet, but Welsh also uses accents on some characters that are not usually supported. ... Most commonly the ŵ and ŷ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the update. I didn't know this. A bit of research led me into the discovery (not news to you, I'm sure, but perhaps to other people reading this), that ŵ and ŷ, as well as their upper case mappings, are not part of the Western European character set nor the Eastern, but are part of ISO/IEC 8859-14, covering at least 6 Celtic languages, including Welsh and Irish. Given this, I'd agree completely that a way to filter for this is very desirable (though my reservations about using "Language" as the category remain).

The only way I could find to check if the fonts on Adobe Fonts are suitable for Welsh, before installing, is to go to the font's page and add these characters to the sample text. There seems fairly good coverage; it may be that the software used to make fonts today automatically generates whatever characters it can by combining accents and letters already in the font. But nobody should have to guess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines