Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When updating text layers, the font changes. Photoshop 23.2.2 on Mac OS 12.2.1

Participant ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Details:

• Not my original file, not sure of original PS or OS versions. Shouldn’t matter.
  • Creator is in a different time zone (asleep now).
  • Font is Monserrat (Google Fonts in 18 different styles).

Problem:

• I need to update some text, but...
  • If I update the text for vector output (or simply edit a text layer instead, tried both), the text reverts to Montserrat Regular instead of the Medium or Semibold that it should be (compared to the preview before updating, and jpeg & PDFs saved/exported by the creator.

Any ideas? TIA.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scabbot610 

One thing you didn't tell us is if you installed these fonts on your computer from Google Fonts before you made the edits. Google has also made Montserrat available through Adobe Fonts.

https://fonts.adobe.com/search?query=Monserrat

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, sorry that wasn't explicit — I was assuming that "the text reverts to Montserrat Regular" would have implied that I do, indeed, have the whole Montserrat family installed.

I was also assuming that since it's a Google font, there wouldn't BE different versions — unlike, say, Garamond, Helvetica, and all of the other typefaces that have a ton of different licensees. I'll check to see if there's a difference between the Adobe licensed version is different than the direct download from Google... which would be ridiculous but I won't put anything past Adobe OR Google, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scabbot610 wrote:

Oops, sorry that wasn't explicit...

...so I picked the most common reason (sorry!) If you didn't have the bold version, for instance, it might revert to regular. 

Several foundries have put their fonts on Adobe Fonts, and Montserrat says it's from Google. Adobe Fonts says there are 36 weights. Do you have all of them installed?

4C6A5075-D6D5-4F0E-9E31-5DE2D8219385.jpeg

There are two other forums that might be able to give you a better answer, and we can move your post if you want us to.

Adobe Fonts   https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-fonts/ct-p/ct-fonts

Type and Typography. https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/ct-p/ct-type-and-typography

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, that’s why I marked your answer as “Helpful” — it probably will be to someone else! And it made me clarify my question, always a good thing.

Assuming that this isn’t just a Photoshop thing, if you can move this into Adobe Fonts I think that would be best. The Type & Typography folks can be a little... eccentric. And I say that as one of them (irl, if not on the forum). Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scabbot610 wrote:

if you can move this into Adobe Fonts I think that would be best.

I've moved your thread to Adobe Fonts, @scabbot610 .

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(btw, for anyone who comes across this later, there are 18 styles of Monserrat and an additional 18 styles of Montserrat (alternates), which would (presumably) be flagged as missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artwork created by other people does NOT contain the fonts unless type layers are flattened before they hand-off to you.   But once type is flattened, it cannot be edited again.  You would need to create a new type layer with fonts that you have installed on your machine.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, neglected to mention that I've been in design for 30 years. So thanks — but you're preaching to the choir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably have a different version of the fonts installed on their system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks — I did think of that but as I just posted in my first reply to Jane-e, it would be ridiculous for there to be more than one version of Montserrat. Not impossible, mind you, and I will check on that. 

The original creators are professionals so even if someone HAS made a knock-off of Montserrat (why?) I strongly doubt they'd be using anything except the official version.

Also — if that was the case (a different version) wouldn't it be listed as a missing font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also — if (a different version) wouldn't it be listed as a missing font?

=======

No. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So,  to clarify: if I have Tasteful Font Name Here installed, and my colleage has a free knock-off of Tasteful Font Name Here, Photoshop will assume that they’re the same thing, not flag it as missing, but revert to a different weight of my own copy? Well — to Adobe, not you — that’s not helpful at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is software supposed to be aware of slight differences in fonts that come from 3rd parties and reside on different machines?  If you think about it, that's too much to expect. Especially since font rendering varies between applications too  -- i.e. Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat & InDesign may use the same font & styles but produce slightly different results on screen and in print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why assume they're "slight" differences — how is software aware of ANY differerences between fonts? Adobe can't base a decision about substitution on name only, can it? By that logic I could just make a bunch of free fonts, all of them named "Adobe Garamond" and, with sufficient distribution, cause chaos. 

We've strayed a bit far from my point: two people, using the SAME font from ONE source (Google) should not experience a substitution — if they do, then the software KNOWS that the fonts are different and therefore should identify the missing style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines