• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do Asian font families show example Asian characters instead of actual sample examples?

Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting an available font family in the drop down window I can see the font style Sample. 

Why do the Asian font families show Asian characters instead of  the English Sample when the font is English letters?

Untitled-1.jpg

I have been using Photoshop products for 10 years and until now have had no reason to care, but I am looking for a specific font style and the lack of a "sample" is annoying.

Is there a way to deal with this? The same can actually be said for font families in C:/Windows/Fonts.

TOPICS
Font rendering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

"Sample" is just there to show you how the font would look like when you use it for your text. Though Asian fonts often come with English alphabet letters, they are primarily used for Asian languages - hence they don't show "Sample", but e.g. "서체견본", "書体見本" or "字体样本" (all which also seem to just mean "sample").

Our "Hello" would be:

• 안녕하세요 (Annyeonghaseyo) in Korean
  • こんにちは (Konnichiwa) in Japanese
  • 你好 (Nĭhǎo) in Simplified Chinese

Note that this is just my assumption. I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sample" is just there to show you how the font would look like when you use it for your text. Though Asian fonts often come with English alphabet letters, they are primarily used for Asian languages - hence they don't show "Sample", but e.g. "서체견본", "書体見本" or "字体样本" (all which also seem to just mean "sample").

Our "Hello" would be:

• 안녕하세요 (Annyeonghaseyo) in Korean
  • こんにちは (Konnichiwa) in Japanese
  • 你好 (Nĭhǎo) in Simplified Chinese

Note that this is just my assumption. I could be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. I had also noticed that this format is also shown when browsing Windows fonts. And I decided since there are similar fonts I can hide yhe Asian font familes from PS as I am only a hobbyist and I don't need that many fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I can't seem to edit my reply, let me add, I have found an open source font editor that I can supposedly change what font is shown on the folder view. I haven't learned how to do that just yet, I will mention it here once I do, in case others might like this information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines