• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Fonts - how does it work?

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started using in the company Adobe CS6 Photoshop and Illustrator, and from what I understand it uses fonts that are installed on Windows, or am i wrong?

Now that we updated and subscribed to CC there's Adobe Fonts. From what I could gather, all applications installed from CC can use fonts that are activated on Adobe Fonts, which is linked to the account.

Do all fonts that appear on the CC apps, when Adobe Fonts activation is turned on in the settings, are Adobe Fonts fonts? Or are they mixed with the ones that are installed on Windows? 

Can i activate more than one - or all the fonts - available to me for free as a CC subscriber?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts available to you include all the Windows fonts - ones you purchased, ones which come with Windows, ones which come with other apps like Office, ones bundled with older versions of Creative Suite that were left behind. (Don't rely on having the same set on each system). In addition the Adobe apps show the Adobe Fonts you have activated. You can activate more than one font or font family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there's some kind of problem with the gathering of the fonts, probably where they are stored, because i keep having problems in the CC and CS6 programs with missing fonts. I just opened a document on Indesign CS6 and an error appears saying a font on the document is missing and is not available on the system. I installed Indesign CC and opened it once, and i don't know if it messed up the the fonts on the CS6, or this issue appeared after i installed CC software.

This is a very serious issue, i need to get urgent work done and it messed my CS6 Indesign document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "activate" mean?
Is the font on my computer somewhere?

Details on how these fonts work are maddeningly vague.

I don't mind new terminology but explain it somewhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody really knows how it works or where the fonts are. So far as I'm concerned "Activate" means the font is available in the font menus of the Adobe apps. That's all it means. (For example you don't get a font file to work with or share).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in this case "Adobe apps" means the CURRENT Adobe apps. This is new technology. CS6 is not part of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is outdated software.  Forget about using it with Adobe Fonts or any other Creative Cloud service.

First I go to Adobe Fonts and click on My Fonts which shows me a list of activated fonts that are available on my system.

https://fonts.adobe.com/my_fonts

Adobe Fonts was formerly called Typekit.  When I open Photoshop CC and select a font, I can see a TK logo beside my Adobe Font.  See screenshot.

image.png

And here's how it looks when applied to an image.

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, but how do i do the same in CS6? I keep having the same problem. Sometimes i open a document in InDesign CS6 and all the fonts are there, and another time i open the same document and it shows the error of missing fonts.

What's happening is some kind of conflict between CC (Adobe Fonts), and CS6 (Adobe fonts folder?) or Windows installed fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Fonts is not made for you to work in CS6 (even if sometimes you are lucky). You have to buy and install fonts in the traditional way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i thought, but this error only started when i installed the CC programs, that's why i'm saying there's some kind of conflict. The fonts that are supposedly missing are installed on Windows, as they were before, so why does it happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Fonts is a part of CC, so you cannot have been using the Adobe Fonts web service before you installed CC! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe i didn't make myself clear: this problem that im having, which is missing fonts on InDesign CS6, only started when i installed CC. I steel need to use InDesign CS6, although i installed (and uninstalled after) InDesign CC.

Also, i can't activate the font i'm havong problems with on Adobe Fonts, because it says there's a conflict -the fonts already exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the fonts folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe and there's nothing there. Is this folder for CS6  as well as CC? Maybe they were there and got deleted when i installed CC?

EDIT: copied all the fonts installed in Windows to this folder, and it seems it worked. Also disabled Adobe fonts service on CC Desktop app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there may be a conflict, yes. Be VERY sure you are not trying to activate the same fonts in Adobe Fonts with CC. Do not touch the computer fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try to activate the same font in Adobe Fonts, but it did not work and says the font already exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hmm, that may have messed it up. Does the font still work in non-Adobe apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines