Adobe Fonts Suggestion: Glyphs Table for Font Browsing

Enthusiast ,
Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject line pretty much says it all. I would really like it if Adobe Fonts provided the option for users to see all of the glyphs in a particular typeface before syncing them to their computers. Online type vendors, such as MyFonts, often allow viewers to see a full glyph table of a selected typeface, along with listing the number of glyphs in the font file, specific OTF features (such as native small capitals), etc. A couple of the free fonts sites, like Font Squirrel, will at least allow users to see a glyph table.

Currently I'll often hop back and forth between Adobe Fonts' Browse Fonts section and the MyFonts web site to see font details not listed at Adobe Fonts, such as a glyph table. That practice has its own pitfalls. Awhile back I synced the Mislab type family, thinking it had all the features I saw over at the MyFonts web site. It turns out I was looking at Mislab Pro but synced Mislab Std. So it was missing a bunch of the "pro" features (like native small caps) found in Mislab Pro. If I had a glyph table see for fonts within the Adobe Fonts web site that would prevent such confusion.

Another thing is a full glyph table can show off just how radically developed (and useful) a certain typeface can be. Take Bookmania for instance: over 3000 glyphs for each face. What Mark Simonson did with that family is just incredible. A glyph table can show off the possibilities of elaborate connected scripts, such as those from Laura Worthington.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Fonts Suggestion: Glyphs Table for Font Browsing

Enthusiast ,
Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The subject line pretty much says it all. I would really like it if Adobe Fonts provided the option for users to see all of the glyphs in a particular typeface before syncing them to their computers. Online type vendors, such as MyFonts, often allow viewers to see a full glyph table of a selected typeface, along with listing the number of glyphs in the font file, specific OTF features (such as native small capitals), etc. A couple of the free fonts sites, like Font Squirrel, will at least allow users to see a glyph table.

Currently I'll often hop back and forth between Adobe Fonts' Browse Fonts section and the MyFonts web site to see font details not listed at Adobe Fonts, such as a glyph table. That practice has its own pitfalls. Awhile back I synced the Mislab type family, thinking it had all the features I saw over at the MyFonts web site. It turns out I was looking at Mislab Pro but synced Mislab Std. So it was missing a bunch of the "pro" features (like native small caps) found in Mislab Pro. If I had a glyph table see for fonts within the Adobe Fonts web site that would prevent such confusion.

Another thing is a full glyph table can show off just how radically developed (and useful) a certain typeface can be. Take Bookmania for instance: over 3000 glyphs for each face. What Mark Simonson did with that family is just incredible. A glyph table can show off the possibilities of elaborate connected scripts, such as those from Laura Worthington.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 19, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bobby:

Being able to view the glyph table for a font prior to installing it is a great idea.  Even though we can now sync any number of Adobe Fonts with our Creative Cloud subscription in InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop and view it in the corresponding glyphs panel, it's while we're at  https://fonts.adobe.comt that we are actually auditioning fonts for use in your designs.  And while the Sample Text option is also very, very helpful, it doesn't reveal all of the glyphs that are available for use in any given font.

Speaking of the Sample Text text field, I think that the best solution that we have right now is to copy and paste ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ abcdefchijklmopqrstuvwxyz 1234567890`~!@#$%^&*()_+-=[]{}\|;:'",<.>/? into the Sample Text text field, but that's not even a close second having the full glyph table available.

A great place for this on the Adobe Fonts web pages would be with the Fonts, About, Usage, Details options.

Hmmm... unfortunately, it doesn't look like users can provide feature requests for Adobe Fonts in the same way they can for Photoshop, After Effects and Illustrator.  If I ever come across someone from the Adobe Fonts team, I'll be sure to mention this.

(For what it's worth, I'm still trying to get a Glyhps Panel in After Effects so that I no longer have to jump to Photoshop or Illustrator.)

-Warren

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 15, 2019 0