• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font licensing for customer customization

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a question about how the following paragraph found here: Typekit Help | Font licensing

"

Can I let my customers use web fonts to customize the products I sell?

No. The font licensing does not allow you to use the fonts in any way where your customers select and apply fonts to their own text as part of the design. This applies to both digital and physical products, such as greeting cards, T-shirts, and coffee cups.

You may create custom designs for a client on a one-to-one basis, but may not offer customizing products with fonts through a website or other service. Allowing your customers to create their own content requires a custom license, which needs to be purchased directly from the foundry or from an authorized reseller.

"

I create lower thirds where customers can submit their request online and the lower third is instantly rendered and emailed to them. The entire value proposition is that it happens immediately without any human interaction. Currently there is no way to select custom fonts so I'm complying with the above rule.

However, I'd like to add the functionality to request custom fonts. Customers would do this by uploading the font they want to use. That way they can only use it if they have a license to it (I'll just have to assume it was downloaded legally). My questions concerns customers who already have a creative cloud subscription. Since they are creative cloud subscribers they get access to Adobe Fonts and the above rule no longer becomes a problem. However, Is there a way I can validate if they have a creative cloud subscription so I can allow them to access the Adobe Fonts from a dropdown list?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeremy,

Unfortunately, this still wouldn't be possible as there isn't a way to programmatically confirm this. You would have to manually confirm it with each customer which would require a lot work. Also, our product isn't set up for this kind of licensing though I understand that in this scenario they would have their own license to the fonts. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help here.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines