• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to embed OTF fonts in a PDF

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased an Open Type Font which is supposed to be embeddable (I checked the font settings in Control Panel > Fonts : it shows as "Editable"). I am using Microsoft Word 2016 and I have Adobe Acrobat installed, so I used "Export as Adobe PDF." However the OTF font was not embedded and text using it turned into gibberish.

Apparently Microsoft's answer is "Only use TrueType fonts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Is there any other way to embed an OTF font in a PDF? Can it only be done with InDesign?

TOPICS
Font rendering , Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thank you for reaching out. Would you mind checking this article: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-fonts.html and let us know if that helps?

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Harshika,

While that article wasn't clear in its recommendations, I tried reinstalling the font in one of the folders it mentions (/Users/[username]/Library/Fonts) and that seems to have worked as now the font is embedded. Is that the recommended solution for getting Adobe OTF fonts to embed from Word, or did I accidentally discover a hack that won't work in the future?

Thanks.

ETA: That seemed to be a fluke. Now it is not embedding again. I don't know how I got it to embed the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines