• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Licensing

Enthusiast ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I jumped into the world of epubs assuming any fonts that are on my computer are free to use. I was shocked to learn this isn't true.

However, I next learned that Adobe fonts can be used in epubs if you're subscribed to Creative Suite (I am). But I have a couple questions...

First, suppose I publish an epub that uses an Adobe font, and I cancel my subscription to Creative Suite two years down the road. Is my epub still legal?

Second, are the rules the same for using Adobe fonts on websites, in graphics, ads, etc.?

According to the information @ https://www.adobe.com/products/type/font-licensing/licensing-faq.html I'm can freely use Adobe fonts for everything EXCEPT on a website. I'm also assuming that an epub using an Adobe font remains legal even if I cancel my subscription.

Am I correct?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Adobe Fonts includes desktop fonts, web fonts and curated marketplace fonts.

Please read Font Licensing and Terms of Use agreement (PDF) below. 

Can I keep using files I created with these fonts if I cancel Creative Cloud?

Yes and no. Any file which embeds the font data, such as PDF or image formats, and any text that has been

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Fonts includes desktop fonts, web fonts and curated marketplace fonts.

Please read Font Licensing and Terms of Use agreement (PDF) below. 

Can I keep using files I created with these fonts if I cancel Creative Cloud?

Yes and no. Any file which embeds the font data, such as PDF or image formats, and any text that has been rasterized or outlined, will continue to display correctly. These types of files may be reproduced and distributed independent of your subscription status.

Documents that reference fonts on your computer, such as an InDesign or Word document, will show a missing fonts warning and use a default font from the program in place of the one from Adobe Fonts. You would need to purchase a new font license and install the fonts on your computer to continue to display and edit these files.

Can the fonts be embedded in PDFs and ebooks? Can they be used in printed books?

Yes. The fonts are licensed for embedding in any ebook format which protects the font data such as EPUB, iBooks, Kindle (mobi), Adobe’s Digital Publishing Suite (DPS), and PDF.   Any ebook authoring workflow which requires the user to move the font files themselves is not allowed under the Terms of Use, however.

As with any electronic document, the fonts must only be used for viewing or printing existing content, not for creating new document variations, templates, or dynamic content. 

You may also use the fonts to create print publications such as books or magazines, but you are not allowed to package or share the fonts with designers or print bureaus.  There is no limitation on the number of impressions you may produce.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines