• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wait, What? Client must have a Creative Cloud subscription for a font?

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read this in the Terms section of Adobe Fonts:

The Terms of Use do not permit reselling beyond December 31, 2019. After that time, the client's website must load Adobe Fonts from their own Creative Cloud subscription to ensure that there isn't any interruption to the font licensing or web font hosting.  

This is untenable.  I can't ask a client to perpetually pay for an Adobe Creative Cloud license just to be able to use a font on their website.  It used to be that I could pay for a font for perpetual web use, which I would be happy to do, it is important that the designer get their license fees, but Adobe does not give an option to do that anymore.  

If Adobe is going to change this, they need to make it easy for us to then pay for the fonts on behalf of the clients.  Otherwise, I must abandon my current use of Adobe Type and find fonts directly from typographers, which is a blow to my freelancing business, both in time and money.

TOPICS
Download install and licensing , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Adobe Fonts community. This isn't a general Type & Typography issue.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case then we can't use Adobe Fonts for our web projects either, surely this is a mistake?! We're just a small company and our clients will NEVER accept having to pay for an Adobe Cloud subscription just to use a font. We'd lose the client immediately, no question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s an interesting question whether a web developer should make a client site that works only as long as the web designer keeps paying a subscription to the design software. The client might expect it to work forever (allowing for web fees). Not sure subscription fonts really have a place in web design for clients at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree, I don't think it does, and yet, the whole Adobe workflow is to make it very easy for me to pull these fonts into the website.

In my case, I provide hosting for my clients as well on my servers, so it was a natural solution.  And to be clear, for awhile, Adobe's terms did allow for this use for my clients and now Adobe is quietly revoking it.  I always expected that if a client stopped hosting with me, then they would need to pay for licensing the fonts, what I failed to see was that many of these fonts are expensive, because you have no insight to that while choosing fonts through the Adobe system.  

The real solution is for Adobe to make it very easy for me to have access to all the fonts during design process with the clear display of the price of a perpetual license for each of the weights, and then make that part of my proposal ( a not-to-exceed kind of line item) and then purchase the font on my client's behalf.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines