Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can no longer import .MOV files?

New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

For years I've been happily importing MOV files into Adobe Media Encoder but for some reason I now get an error message telling me that I cannot do so as file format is not supported.  Does anyone please know why this could be, or indeed have any suggestion as to how I can work around this as it's rather crucial to my workflow?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One issue may be needing to add ".mov" to the filename if it is not already present.  Of course, if that's already in the filename, then that's not the issue.

Also, Apple deprecated QuickTime as a system driver for time-based media back in 2013, leaving it up to the host software to support the CODEC being used in the movie file.  If this is what's causing it, you'll need to verify which CODEC is being used in your movie files.  Here's a list of what's supported in Media Encoder, Premiere Pro and After Effects: Dropped support for QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs

If the CODEC you're using isn't listed on that page, you'll have to convert your files.  If running macOS X, the easiest way to do this is by opening the file in QuickTime Player X, allowing it to be converted and then saving the new file.  If you have lot of files, this is a bit arduous and it may be worth purchasing Apple Compressor to automate the conversion.  It may be important to note that QuickTime Player X doesn't allow the user to pick the CODEC for the converted file.  It's determined by QuickTime Player X and is either H264 for Apple ProRes.  Another option is to install Adobe Media Encoder CC2017 or earlier and use that to convert to H.264, Apple ProRes (this is going to be Mac only with CC2017), Animation, or GoPro Cineform (any CODEC that is "supported for import" should work - but some are better for edtiing).

However, even if a CODEC is listed as suppored by Premiere Pro, After Effects and Media Encoder, it may not decompress/open as expected.  I've run into this with DV files that were captured a very, very long time ago.  The solution was to use QuickTime Player X to convert the legacy DV-NTSC files and then use the converted files in Premiere Pro, After Effects or Media Encoder.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Me will accept .mov files. When exporting from Motion, make sure to set the video codec in settings to H264. You should now hove no trouble importing and converting the .mov file to mp4 (or whatever format you choose) in Me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines