• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Caption - this one's a weird one...

Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I'm editing a caption in the altest Premiere Pro. I am at a caption line which reads: "

and the civil sector in Serbia, economic empowerment of the population and financial entities" and, for some reason, the preview window suddenly goes black and buttload errors pops up (attached). After a couple of iterations of copy/paste-ing, I decided to manually type in the line. It all went well, until I came to the word "financial", at which point, after I try typing the first letter "I" of the word, the same thing happens.

This is what kills me here - if I type ANY OTHER letter instead of "I", it works. If I type ANY OTHER letter except "F" in the space before the "I", I can actually type the "I". For some reason, the exact combination of "F", followed by "I", just breaks Premiere Pro. And let me tell you, the very next sentence contains the word "fight", so I'm in for a pickle.

Can someone, anyone, make sense of this, of all the stupid things happening with Adobe products as fo late, this one takes the cake, when it comes to the relation of how stupid it is, yet how paralized it's making my work...

PS - tried restarting the software, nothing doing. At this point, I really need to know what the problem is, not how to get by while ignoring it.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

In the new caption workflow (PR2021 and newer), right click on the caption header in the timeline. Pick Caption Track Settings. Then uncheck "ligatures."

I do not know why you are getting the errors, however. Let us know if turning ligatures off avoids the problem.

Edit: Forgot to add the general method for "regular" (non-caption) text. Edit -> Preferences -> Graphics. Uncheck ligatures. But the caption setting seems independent of the general graphics text setting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Essential graphics title tools exhibit the same behavior, I am simply unable to make a title containing the "fi" letters together. This would be extremely funny, if me doing my job didn't depend on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't test at the moment. Try a font that does not use "ligatures." That's probably what you are seeing.

I don't remember if there's a setting...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new caption workflow (PR2021 and newer), right click on the caption header in the timeline. Pick Caption Track Settings. Then uncheck "ligatures."

I do not know why you are getting the errors, however. Let us know if turning ligatures off avoids the problem.

Edit: Forgot to add the general method for "regular" (non-caption) text. Edit -> Preferences -> Graphics. Uncheck ligatures. But the caption setting seems independent of the general graphics text setting.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

thanks for the answers, I didn't get notified about them, that's why I'm late with the reply. Unchecking ligatures solved the problem. I'm still baffled as to why it would cause these errors, but thanks for at least removing the main roadblock in my workflow. 🙂

Btw, I ended up finishing this project by effectively cloning the relevant caption lines in After Effects, which must be the weakest reason to use dynamic link, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, but not the first time AE is used for a workaround.

And yes, no idea why this would trigger an error.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines