• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export via Media Encoder fails to write XMP

Contributor ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the - is going on? For months, every time I have tried to batch render a bundle of live music videos, I keep getting this error;

- Source File: C:\Users\Del_7Pro\AppData\Local\Temp\Both Acts Multicam.prproj
- Output File: D:\Render Bucket\FreeFoundation_FHD#1.mp4
- Preset Used: Custom
- Video: 1920x1080 (1.0), 25 fps, Progressive, 100 (63% HLG, 51% PQ), Hardware Encoding, Nvidia Codec, 00:09:08:04
- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 16.00 Mbps
- Encoding Time: 00:19:57
10/11/2022 10:48:40 PM : File Encoded with warning
------------------------------------------------------------
File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of FreeFoundation_FHD#1.mp4. Reading and writing this file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled.

File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of FreeFoundation_FHD#1.mp4. Reading and writing this file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled.

I have got my mp4 file which plays in Windows Media Player, but it leaves a '.m4v' on the side in the render folder - the same file size as the video.
Export direct from Premiere one-by-one suffers no problems, but it can't seem to communicate with AME any more. What's this XMP all about, is it essential? I thought XMP was to do with website building (Extended Media Protocol)

Mod note: Profanity removed. Please refrain from that. We have minors reading here.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I noted was the # character in the filename. Do NOT use those type characters in the filenames ... can cause issues.

And may be the cause. Dump your cache files. Change the filename, and try again.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that input, but I've just exported #1 direct within Premiere. No errors or odd files, so I'd call that an AME bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem with reserved characters is that it's difficult to predict when they'll cause problems... So try removing the # and see if that makes a difference.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported 3 short timespans (approx 20sec each) from the same project, titled
• Test1.mp4

• Test_2.mp4

• Test#3.mp4
All rendered with no errors. It's bedtime now in my timezone, so I'm not going to waste time testing the full 6-9minute long songs, but my quick test showed me that the # in the file name is not incompatible, as long as it's only a short file. BUG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I said, it's difficult to predict when the reserved character will cause problems.  So just because it didn't cause any issues in this particular test, doesn't mean that it might not cause issues down the road...  May not be causing your particular problem, but still not a good idea to use a reserved character in a file name.   Don't understand what the downside is to just avoiding it...    bwdik...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to re-render the full videos as I changed the audio mix. Trying to bulk render via AME right now, with no # in the titles, just alphabetic/numeric characters. The first two have finished has finished - 'Done' with a green tick and yellow alert. Error details;

-------------------------------------------------

- Source File: C:\Users\Del_7Pro\AppData\Local\Temp\Both Acts Multicam_8.prproj
- Output File: D:\Render Bucket\FreeFoundation1.mp4
- Preset Used:
- Video: 1920x1080 (1.0), 25 fps, Progressive, 100 (63% HLG, 51% PQ), Hardware Encoding, Nvidia Codec, 00:09:08:04
- Audio: AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz, Stereo
- Bitrate: VBR, 1 pass, Target 15.00 Mbps
- Encoding Time: 00:16:36
10/12/2022 04:39:36 PM : File Encoded with warning
File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of FreeFoundation1.mp4. Reading and writing this file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled.

File importer detected an inconsistency in the file structure of FreeFoundation1.mp4. Reading and writing this file's metadata (XMP) has been disabled.

-------------------------------------------------

In the render folder, I've got a playable 'FreeFoundation1.mp4' (1.07GB) and next to it; 'FreeFoundation1.15560.22248.m4v' (1.05GB)

I would take a screenshot and post it on here, but I dare not open any more graphic software in case by PC blows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I'm not sure I understand.  Did your files export successfully despite the alert you are seing?  Are the exported files playing properly?

As I understand it (but could be wrong) xmp files in this case are metadata that can be embedded in video file...  I often work at multiple locations and have cloned media drives that I update with carboncopycloner on a regular basis.  CCC allows you to just copy new files on the target drive and update files that have changed...  So generally when I did an update to the clone, it was just copying new files over to the target drive but when I started using this workflow in Premiere, updating the clone would take hours as it was replacing large media files that hadn't changed as far as I could tell...    by turning off the xmp options in Premiere preferences: Media, that problem went away and did not interfere with my workflow...   So not sure XMP data is important...  But maybe someone else here who knows the inner workings of premiere and media files can join in this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can imagine the XMP data is how you get partitions in YouTube, but that's just a guess. It is only recently that I discovered 'chapter markers' in Premiere, and may be around the time I started getting this XML failure in AME exports. Whether chapters are just to assist your timeline or is what creates XML, I don't know. AME is fine for creating my proxies, but other than that - I'm not going to touch it with a barge pole until a member of Adobe staff explains why I'm getting huge M4V files created like the screenshot I posted. It's wasting my time and raising my power consumption / electric bill as a result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go, good old AME can't seem to write an MP4 without doubling it with an M4V and failing the XMP, doubling the write time and GPU power consumption.
I can export them flawlessly from Premiere one-by-one, but consider I'm taking a 30 minute show and dividing the songs into separate videos, I'd rather leave the batch rendering while I cook my dinner or go shopping.

Mr & Mrs Adobe,
I've been a CC subscriber for 3 years and never used to suffer this until the last month or so. Why can't Premiere communicate with Media encoder any more and insist on writing a 2nd M4V file that I never asked for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which preset are you starting with?

As if I recall correctly, an m4v file is not unusual with say DVD type exports, or a failed mp4 export that doesn't complete ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's my own H.264 preset I created years go, I can't remember where it evolved from, but it never used to cause any errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a similar XMP file issue from 10 years ago here; https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/could-not-write-xmp-data-in-output-file-outp...
I was using chapter markers as described in that chat, so shifted the marker points before rendering, re-ran the AME list, and every one simply failed to write anything. Dreadful software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You mentioned a pretty old custom preset. Does it also happen with system presets? Also what are the metadata settings? What happens when you disable metadata creation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines