Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting video to smallest size for iOS and Andriod app

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I have tried searching for the answer to this question on the forum and couldn't find anything close.

I am working on an app that includes video content that is being released next month. We have tried keeping the content down to a minimum as obviously, this impacts the size of the app which is already quite large. There are 20+ videos that are around 1min and half long.

Our workflow is probably not the best for these videos as, after a few tests, the most efficient way of getting low files size videos that retain the quality was by uploading them to YouTube at 720p and then downloading them. They would go from 150mb to around 19mb and other videos down to 6mb which si great without any severe quality loss. The reason behind this unusual workflow was based on the idea that YouTube's compression will be top spec and have algorithms that select the most efficient Mbps when uploading the videos to YouTube.

I am at the stage of exporting all the videos again after some feedback and responses from the partners. In doing so YouTube's compression has changed adding up to 5mb on each video which is obviously times by 20+ videos - a nightmare for us. I have done tests with the same videos uploaded a month ago and they are not being compressed to the same size. I also think there might be better solutions with AME?

I have downloaded the MediaInfo app from the app store and been able to look at the previous YouTube videos (the smaller file size) to try and duplicate the same settings that YouTube (Google). These settings were highlighted on MediaInfo as:

MPEG-4 (Base Media / Version 2)

Overall bit rate mode: variable

Overall bit rate: 1 335 Kbps

Video: 1206 KBPS 1280*720m(16:9), 23.976 (24000/1001) fps, AVC (Main@L3.1) (CABAC / 3 Ref Frames) ISO Meedia file produced by Google Inc.

Audio: English, 126 Kbps, 44.1 KHz, 2 channels, AAC LC

I have tried using AME to duplicate these settings but couldn't see a way to make the bitrate variable for all videos. The results have been poor in comparison to Youtube so I am wondering if there is a better way to export these videos for the app that will keep the quality but give us the smallest size possible? I know ffmpeg is a favourite for apps but the app developer wants to keep it in mp4 as it such a common format and shouldn't give us any compatibility issues. Anything outside mp4 could require testing which we don't have the time to do at this stage.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions as well as apologise if I am missing an obvious fix!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I too have the same issue, please somebody help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines