Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Works in Premiere, doesn't work in After Effects during export

Contributor ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I made a simple test. I took a footage 1280*720, placed it in Premiere project, changed scale to 300% and rendered it 3840*2160 through Media Encoder. My GTX 1060 was loaded 30%. Video engine load 0%. Then I did the same in After Effects. GPU load was 0%, Video engine load 0%, time of rendering 2 times higher. What is the problem? Adobe software 2018, windows 10 64, latest drivers, have no IQSV in my CPU. Cuda was enabled in AE, PP and ME.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi сергейз48634810,

Thanks for posting in Adobe Forums. As we know After Effects & Premiere Pro are applications designed for different functions & they take the advantage of GPU on your graphics card for different kinds of processing. We cannot compare both the applications in any way including the speed & performance. Please check the following article for information related to the GPU utilization in AfterEffects:

Rendering with OpenGL in After Effects CC

Thanks,

Vidya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vidya,

Thank you for your answer. I've already read this artice, it's not very helpful. I'd like to use more GPU power in classic 3d. Now I see that my GPU uses cuda for making a preview but it doesn't use video engine hardware decoding for that. How can I turn on video engine inside AE?

Also I see that when exporting h.264 from AE through ME my GPU doesn't work for scaling and it doesn't work for encoding. It's very frustrating, is there anything I can do to fix that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi сергейз48634810,

You can enable in AfterEffects, File > Project Settings > Video Rendering & Effects > Use "Mercury GPU Acceleration".

In Media Encoder, in Queue panel, right bottom corner, Renderer > Select Mercury GPU Acceleration.

Please note, AfterEffects do not use GPU for all functions.

Thanks,

Vidya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vidya,

As I've already written I have Mercury GPU Acceleration Cuda enabled in AE, ME and PP. Adobe tells us that scaling is a GPU powered process. I can confirm that for ME only, for PP-ME. But it's not true when exporting from AE and it's not true when exporting from AE through ME. Du you have any idea why this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you mean, scaling as in scaling comp size from one size to a different output size or a scale effect when a comp is the same size as output?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

The source file was 720p. The comp was the same size as output 2160p. The scale of the source file was changed to 300% on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you created a 720P comp and scaled it to 2160 on output, I believe you should then see the GPU enabled for scale. I can try it when I return to the office in the morning, or you can try it and let us know the results. I can also ask the team at that time.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It's not a very good idea. I usually use scaling inside comps and almost never on output. It's very important to use gpu for scaling inside comps! In PP it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was just implying a test to see what's going on. Let me ask the team to get a better response for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have anything about my question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2018 Jan 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anybody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here bro Im also searching for help 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 18, 2018 Jan 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evidently Adobe doesn't care about its products. It's sad, but we won't see the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2018 Feb 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

сергейз48634810,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I was able to speak with the Premiere Pro engineering team.

• They said that AME processes effects coming from Premiere Pro differently than After Effects.
  • Premiere Pro and GPU accelerated effects handling is further along in development than After Effects is, but After Effects is adding more and more processes available to the GPU.
  • Your experience in processing times may vary given the same or similar effect being handled in either application.

I think what we need to do at this point in time is to file a feature request to the After Effects team to achieve parity with Premiere Pro in GPU accelerated effects handling in AME. Please file that request here.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your answer.

There is no AE in your link.

Also it would be great if your AE team implemented render tecnology similar to RenderGarden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines