Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

H.265 encoding slow

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe forums,

I'm trying to re-encode a star wars movie as H.265 from H.264 and it's taken over 30 (!!) hours to re-encode. I'm going from one RAMDisk to another to try and remove any storage bottlenecks. Settings: 1080p, VBR 1-pass, 1.2mbps target/10mbps max, quality higher, tier main.

My system is as follows:
Dual Xeon E5-2667 V2's @3.6GHZ

96GB RAM (with 2 12GB RAMdisks for in/out)

Geforce GT610 (I know this needs to be upgraded)

Media Encoder NEVER gets above 30% usage, and my CPU never goes above 2GHz with around 2.5GB RAM used by encoder. I have around 60GB free RAM right now, and my adobe suite is set to leave 20GB for other programs.

I have NO idea what is going on, but this is a problem.

Best, Ryan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ryan,

We're sorry for your issue. Thanks for reaching out. The export speed for any file is dependent on various factors(media file format, resolution, any changes made to the project etc). Here are a few things that we need to check:

• Does the export work fine for other formats like Quicktime?
  • Is the GPU acceleration enabled?
  • Is it a Mac or a PC? (Please specify the version)

Thanks,

Shivangi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exporting for other formats doesn't matter, as I only care about x265. However, x265 encoding works SUPER fast through premiere direct export in app - around 1/10 the time that it takes through Media Encoder.

GPU acceleration *is* on, however the GPU is a GT610 and can't do much.

It's a PC - running Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition.

There is no project, BTW - it's a movie re-encoding. There are no changes but the export format. All are 1080p or 720p.

All the re-encoding is from x264 to x265, BTW.

I know that export speed varies depending on a lot of things - I do this *professionally*. I wouldn't be posting if there wasn't a SEVERE issue. My DUAL-CORE laptop with integrated graphics (running the same version of media encoder and win10 pro) is FASTER than media encoder (on the server, specs above) on the same task. Around 3x as fast - which should not be true.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines