HEVC (H265) encoding fails in AME 2020

New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been trying to get AME 2020 to encode in 4K HEVC (H265), but I get a very quick fail every time, with error code 7 (Out of Memory) in the logs.

Reinstalled AME 2019: it works like a charm.

So: rollback to 2019 for me, and will wait for some updates to AME 2020 first.

@Adobe Support: If you read this, I'd like to report this as a bug.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export or render , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can repory bugs here: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html 
Forum is more for community help purposes not for bug reporting. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth I am having the exact same problem but I have been unable to find any other reports of this issue nor any solutions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah its same problem here Adobe 2019 encoder works but 2020 giving me this ugly thing
my system:
AMD FX 9590
Radeon vii
32 gb Ram
1 TB WD Black hdd / 14 TB WD Ultrastar hdd / 6 TB extranal WD hdd

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 2021: still not fixed. @Adobe Support: Are you reading this? How can this pretty essential bug stay unsolved for a year?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working in April 2022...   hardware works but my GPU only supports 8bpc HEVC which is next-to-useless esp. for 4k.  I gave up since the videos I actually use Premiere on are short, take the temporary disk space hit, export to lossless 4:4:4 JP2K MXF to avoid further quality loss, then encode to 4:2:0 in CRF mode with x265 via ffmpeg.   I just use JP2k because it's faster export than the other digital negative style formats but any of them at a significantly higher bitrate and preferably less chroma subsampling than the target format should work.  For longer videos you'd be better off with one of the lossy formats at high bitrate.   

From everything I've read Adobe's encoder quality is awful compared to x265 anyway so there's no huge loss beyond MXF files not retaining mastering metadata.

The recent speed improvement of 10bit hevc 4:2:0 hardware encoding for intel Xe was kind of amusing since it can encode main12 4:2:0 now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you provide more information about what exactly isn't working and, ideally, same files that demonstrate the error? I ask because I'm the product manager (recently moved into that role) for both Media Encoder and for Formats in general. HEVC is very important to us, both as a format our customers are editing in (it's a common camera format now) and a format customers want to output in. 

Thanks!

Fergus

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines